Forum: Rails deployment cap deploy problem

D4ecf6097193e43bf0bf6ea186fcfbd0?d=identicon&s=25 matthi (Guest)

this is the first time i try to set up a testserver mainly following
this great tutorial  "Debian On Rails : Apache 2.2 + MySQL + Ruby +
Rails + PHP + Mongrel + Mongrel_cluster + Subversion + Trac +
Capistrano" at
http://www.stoneageblog.com/articles/2007/01/11/de...

So far I ve got everything working up to the "cap setup" commmand and am
now having big, big trouble with "cap deploy" and am allways ending up
with:

  * executing task restart
  * executing "sudo  /var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper"
    servers: ["xyz.com"]
    [xyz.com] executing command
 ** [out :: xyz.com] sudo:
 ** [out :: xyz.com] /var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper:
command not found
    command finished
command "sudo  /var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper" failed on
xyz.com

Ok, so far I can tell:
ls -la on that file results in:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 matthi matthi 108 2007-04-30 02:57
/var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper

Trying..
/var/rails/servipuja/current/script/process/reaper results in -bash:
/var/rails/servipuja/current/script/process/reaper: Permission denied

chmod 755 /var/rails/servipuja/current/script/process/reaper and trying
to run this manually results in:

Couldn't find any pid file in '/var/rails/xyz/current/tmp/pids' matching
'dispatch.[0-9]*.pid'
(also looked for processes matching
"/var/rails/xyz/current/public/dispatch.fcgi")

SO, by no means I am an unixprof nor anything, but first question is,
why isnt the reaper executable when cap is "creating" it and should it
be at all or do I have another problem ??

I tried to explain this as detailed as I can and hope someone came
across this stuff and can help me out

best regards

matthi
E9f4a4dd646496e89ae870d6eed904af?d=identicon&s=25 Cuthbert (Guest)
on 2007-05-02 06:27
Does not look like you are using the fastcgi processes that reaper is
designed to restart in the setup you described.  In your cap script set
them to false.  EG  set :spinner, "false".  See the manual for details.
Good luck.  http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/100#page270
F3f0570091c16739cf70ac0b67acdcb6?d=identicon&s=25 András Tarsoly (Guest)
Hi Matthi,

On 4/30/07, matthi <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:

this great tutorial  "Debian On Rails : Apache 2.2 + MySQL + Ruby +
> Rails + PHP + Mongrel + Mongrel_cluster + Subversion + Trac +

As Cuthbert already mentioned: you are using Mongrel and not FastCGI, so
you
don't need any of those scripts to run periodically.

** [out :: xyz.com] sudo:
> ** [out :: xyz.com] /var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper:
> command not found
>     command finished
> command "sudo  /var/rails/xyz/current/script/process/reaper" failed on
> xyz.com

You can't run anything on unix / linux, what doesn't have execute (x)
rights, not even with sudo. If your local development environment is a
unix
or linux, you should chmod +x those scripts and make a commit back to
your
subversion repository. That will preserve your file permissions on your
deploys.

If you using windows boxes to develop or anything, you should check out
the
executable subversion property. It will automatically mark the specified
files as executables on linux / unix hosts.

See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.pro...
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advance...

Regards,