Forum: Ruby on Rails multiple apps, one host (mongrel, apache2)?

94d4d7d1b78391266fea8e739c9405c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Kelley (dankelley)
on 2007-04-29 15:02
Fame, glory, and a lot of appreciation would shower upon anyone who can
indicate how to use mongrel with apache2, to get multiple public apps on
one host, without DNS or IP tweaking, etc.

To be concrete, let's say we're trying to expose the following sites

http://host.com/app_one
http://host.com/app_two

using Rails, Mongrel, and Apache2.  It should be assumed that the person
doing the work has root access (is able to edit httpd.conf, to restart
the web server,  etc.), but does *not* have the ability to alter IP or
DNS information.  For reasons whose details are irrelevant, two other
requirements are that the site has to be exposed to the outside world
(127.0.0.1 is not sufficient) and that commercial hosting is not a
solution.

Apology: I know that I am asking a question that has been asked before.
However, I've been unable to uncover a proposed solution that was
reported by the questioner to work. For reference, some threads on the
topic include:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...
Dfd6f9989147955682701da8227df8b4?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Wang (Guest)
Dan Kelley wrote:
> doing the work has root access (is able to edit httpd.conf, to restart

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

Is there a reason why the solution I posted in my message in the second
thread above does not work for you? If you are having problems with
images in a CSS stylesheet you'll need something like this:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/100239#216715

--
Michael Wang
94d4d7d1b78391266fea8e739c9405c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Kelley (dankelley)
Michael Wang wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

> Is there a reason why the solution I posted in my message in the second
> thread above does not work for you? If you are having problems with
> images in a CSS stylesheet you'll need something like this:
>
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/100239#216715

The problem is that I don't get images.  (Actually, at the moment, I
don't even get a site, unless I use 127.0.0.1, but I've taken several
steps backward lately, so if I can just get images I'll be happier!)

I start mongrel with the command

<pre>
mongrel_rails start -d -p 8010 -a 127.0.0.1 -e development --prefix
/LSCbc
</pre>

and my http.conf contains as below.

<pre>
# DEK 20070429 start
Alias /LSCbc "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public"
<Directory "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public">
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride none
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
ProxyPass /LSCbc/images !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/stylesheets !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/javascripts !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
#ProxyPass /LSCbc/images http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc/images
ProxyPass /LSCbc  http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
ProxyPassReverse /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
# DEK 20070429 end
</pre>

and the result is that images (used by my stylesheet) do not show up.
They are called as follows, in my public/stylesheets/style.css file:

<pre>
background: url('/images/headerlogo.png') bottom left no-repeat
transparent;
</pre>
Dan Kelley wrote:
> don't even get a site, unless I use 127.0.0.1, but I've taken several
>
> ProxyPass /LSCbc/stylesheets !
>
> <pre>
> background: url('/images/headerlogo.png') bottom left no-repeat
> transparent;
> </pre>

Well you have a problem cause you have a generic "/images" directory
reference and multiple apps that can point to it. You have to resolve
the ambiguity somehow.

One way is as described in my link above which you almost have correct
but not quite:

ProxyPass /images http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc/images

but then you would have to stick all your stylesheet images from all
your apps into the LSCbc images directory.

Another way is to put the app in the images path in the stylesheets and
setup ProxyPass that way (like the way you have commented out), i.e.:

background: url('/LSCbc/images/headerlogo.png') bottom left no-repeat

--
Michael Wang
94d4d7d1b78391266fea8e739c9405c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Kelley (dankelley)
Michael Wang wrote:
> Another way is to put the app in the images path in the stylesheets and
> setup ProxyPass that way (like the way you have commented out), i.e.:
>
> background: url('/LSCbc/images/headerlogo.png') bottom left no-repeat

Michael, this is an excellent solution for me, since I'm hoping to have
each app provide its own images.

I'm not clear on the ProxyPass, though.  I find that the site works for
me, whether I use

ProxyPass /LSCbc/images !

or

ProxyPass /LSCbc/images http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc/images

and so I'm wondering whether I should use the former or the latter.  (My
impression was that the former is better for speed.)
Dan Kelley wrote:
> me, whether I use
>
> ProxyPass /LSCbc/images !
>
> or
>
> ProxyPass /LSCbc/images http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc/images
>
> and so I'm wondering whether I should use the former or the latter.  (My
> impression was that the former is better for speed.)

Yes the former is better for speed since you are having Apache serve
those static files instead of Mongrel but that only works if you have an
Alias or other path mapping setup to that directory (which you do). I.e.
the "!" means to not proxy URLs that match the specified path.

--
Michael Wang
94d4d7d1b78391266fea8e739c9405c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Kelley (dankelley)

<pre>
no route found to match "books/list" with {:method=>:get}
</pre>
(FYI, this is a site for a book club, hence the name.)

My httpd.conf lines are:

<pre>
# DEK 20070430 start
Alias /LSCbc "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public"
<Directory "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public">
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride none
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
ProxyPass /LSCbc/public/images !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/public/stylesheets !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/public/javascripts !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
ProxyPass /LSCbc  http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
ProxyPassReverse /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
# DEK 20070430 end
</pre>

PS. I realize this is a bit of a different issue, but it's connected by
the use of ProxyPass, I guess, so that's my excuse :-)
Dan Kelley wrote:

> </Directory>
> PS. I realize this is a bit of a different issue, but it's connected by
> the use of ProxyPass, I guess, so that's my excuse :-)

How are you launching Mongrel and what does the "books/list" URL look
like in the source HTML?

--
Michael Wang
94d4d7d1b78391266fea8e739c9405c5?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Kelley (dankelley)
Michael Wang wrote:
> How are you launching Mongrel

I start Mongrel as:
<pre>
mongrel_rails start -d -p 8010 -a 127.0.0.1 -e development --prefix
/LSCbc
</pre>

> and what does the "books/list" URL look
> like in the source HTML?

The RoR code is as follows, from my app/views/shared:

<pre>
<%
l = ['welcome','books'] # tab title
c = ['welcome','books'] # controller
a = ['index','list'] # method
n = 2
%>
<% n.times do |i| %>
  <li>
  <%= link_to l[i], :controller => c[i], :action => a[i]%>
  </li>
<% end %>
</pre>

and the resultant HTML is e.g.

<pre>
  <li>
  </li>
  <li>
  </li>

For context: the scheme works when I'm pointing at 127.0.0.1/LSCbc but
not if the browser is pointed at http://localhost/LSCbc/ ... as a
reminder, I have apache2 and my httpd.conf contains the following.  (

<pre>
# DEK 20070429 start
Alias /LSCbc "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public"
<Directory "/Users/kelley/Sites/LSCbc/public">
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride none
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
ProxyPass /LSCbc/images !
#ProxyPass /LSCbc/images http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc/images
ProxyPass /LSCbc/stylesheets !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/javascripts !
ProxyPass /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
ProxyPass /LSCbc  http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
ProxyPassReverse /LSCbc/ http://127.0.0.1:8010/LSCbc
# DEK 20070429 end
</pre>

And, a final symptom the stylesheet/images do not work with the
httpd.conf as below, when I point at localhost, but they do when I point
at 127.etc.  To get the stylesheet/images, I have to say e.g.

<pre>
ProxyPass /LSC/public/images
</pre>

PS. I've stated more than requested here, based on the assumption that
it's easier to spot problems in a self-contained entry than in a long
thread.

Thanks.  Dan.