Forum: Ruby on Rails What to use to do an action every minute?

2119f016588ba13373484491bd2dd6d1?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Peck (fatcatt316)
on 2007-04-26 16:09
Hey,

I need to have a process running that will do something every minute
(check value of some stuff).  Is there something in Rails that I can use
to do this?
On 26 Apr 2007, at 16:09, Joe Peck wrote:

> I need to have a process running that will do something every minute
> (check value of some stuff).  Is there something in Rails that I
> can use
> to do this?

Depends on what you mean: if you want to update the user's browser
every minute when a certain page is loaded, you can use a periodical
updater. If it's a background process, you can use a cron tab and use
"script/runner", i.e. if it calculating values in the background
without any visual feedback.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
2119f016588ba13373484491bd2dd6d1?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Peck (fatcatt316)
on 2007-04-26 16:40
> Depends on what you mean: if you want to update the user's browser
> every minute when a certain page is loaded, you can use a periodical
> updater. If it's a background process, you can use a cron tab and use
> "script/runner", i.e. if it calculating values in the background
> without any visual feedback.
>

> Best regards
>
> Peter De Berdt

The "cron tab" sounds more like what I want to do.  Time to search for
information about that.  Do you have an example of how to use a cron tab
and script/runner for something like this?
On 26 Apr 2007, at 16:40, Joe Peck wrote:

> The "cron tab" sounds more like what I want to do.  Time to search for
> information about that.  Do you have an example of how to use a
> cron tab
> and script/runner for something like this?

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToRunBa...

Best regards

Peter De Berdt