Forum: Ruby on Rails Newbie Qs. Why use Ruby? Why use Rails?

0903a73f09b19f71640d829665b32c4e?d=identicon&s=25 johnchicago99 (Guest)
Yes, These are Newbie Qs.
Why use Ruby?
Why use Rails?
A8486651a974d7d9ecc35d25de96c7ee?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Lowis (chrislo)
on 2007-04-25 10:16
> Why use Ruby?
> Why use Rails?

These are quite convincing answers to the latter question:

00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
Here is a presentation I did on this subject...

On 4/25/07, Chris Lowis <> wrote:
> --

Nathaniel Steven Henry Brown

Toll Free: 1-877-446-4647
Vancouver: 604-724-6624
588ab1c0a5610a7e160a3b101abb91e6?d=identicon&s=25 MichaelLatta (Guest)
Foremost I use both because they work well and get the job done with
less effort than the alternatives I have used.
The buzz suggests that I am not alone in that opinion so there is a
broader base of experience also making that choice.

I personally like Ruby a lot (being an old Smalltalk guy).  And Rails
is very well designed from what I have seen so far.  There is a
learning curve as with any tool.  Both ruby and rails have a definite
view of the world that is not exactly the same as anything else.
Unlike many frameworks in Rails SQL != BAD.  Rails provides a thin
layer above SQL to make common operations easy, but makes no attempt
to hide from SQL.  The duck typing of Ruby makes all this much easier
to work with than a system like Java where all the details must be
worked out in advance and the slightest deviation makes two objects
incompatible with each other.