Forum: Ruby GameR 0.2 is out

Ae9705d43819ffe40a6936aeaf71205b?d=identicon&s=25 Wim Vander Schelden (Guest)
I've released GameR, a small and simple game development framework for
Ruby.
Currently, it can do pretty much anything except for sound output.
Features
include a Timer class, graphics output, event handling and image
support.

I'm currently focusing on adding documentation, writing a JRuby port of
the
framework which should be 100% source compatible with the normal Ruby
version,
and audio support. I'm also thinking about an easy way to store the
keycodes for
easy and readable keypress event handling.

For now, development is progressing slowly because of the excessive
amount of
work for school I have left, but I'm planning on having a 1.0 release by
the end
of August.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

You can get the source code at:

http://gamer.homeunix.org

Binaries are unavailable right now, but I'll compile Windows and Java
binaries for
the next release.

Wim
9f1dc407a86b3b81ad428a509d079ce1?d=identicon&s=25 Han Dao (Guest)
Why you're developing a game framework when there are already library
for
Ruby game development like Rubygame (http://rubygame.sourceforge.net)?

This is really a duplication of effort.
Ae9705d43819ffe40a6936aeaf71205b?d=identicon&s=25 Wim Vander Schelden (Guest)
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:12:00 +0900
"Han Dao" <wikipediankiba@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why you're developing a game framework when there are already library for
> Ruby game development like Rubygame (http://rubygame.sourceforge.net)?
>
> This is really a duplication of effort.

Thanks, now I have to face en existential crisis. I wasn't aware of
rubygame, so
now I'm going to think about whether I'm going to continue my project or
abandon it
and port rubygame to JRuby.

Wim
Ddef236fd398df1603349a75673cdaca?d=identicon&s=25 Guy Speier (Guest)
Hello,

Can you tell me what this line:
configuration.frameworks.each { |framework| require(framework.to_s) }

is doing?  I see that it reqiures "framework.to_s" ... I don't think
it's a
file.  If its a variable, how cna I see it's content?

thanks,
Guy
On 4/22/07, Han Dao <wikipediankiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why you're developing a game framework when there are already library for
> Ruby game development like Rubygame (http://rubygame.sourceforge.net)?
>
> This is really a duplication of effort.

Perhaps this is why:
(from http://rubygame.sourceforge.net/info.html)
----
Is rubygame development active?

In theory: yes. In practice: no, not really. Rubygame hasn't been
abandoned, but its author is desperately unmotivated (for a variety of
reasons). As a result, development is somewhat stagnant.
On 4/22/07, Guy Speier <guy@speier.us> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you tell me what this line:
> configuration.frameworks.each { |framework| require(framework.to_s) }
>
> is doing?  I see that it reqiures "framework.to_s" ... I don't think it's a
> file.  If its a variable, how cna I see it's content?
require works with strings, instead of saying
require 'mylib'
you could of course say
m = 'mylib'
require m

To answer your second question:
puts configuration.frameworks.map{ |fr| fr.inspect}.join("\n")
might come in handy.

HTH
Robert
Ac0085dae0703db56ad7f8cb9e1798ba?d=identicon&s=25 Phillip Gawlowski (Guest)
Wim Vander Schelden wrote:

> Thanks, now I have to face en existential crisis. I wasn't aware of rubygame, so
> now I'm going to think about whether I'm going to continue my project or abandon it
> and port rubygame to JRuby.

Why? If it's fun for you, to do it, keep going. Besides, competition is
good, and I'm sure your framework can (and will) have different
strengths to rubygame, as there is no "one size fits all" in software
(otherwise, all games would use only one game engine, for example ;).

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #13:

Your first release can always be improved upon.
9f1dc407a86b3b81ad428a509d079ce1?d=identicon&s=25 Han Dao (Guest)
Actually, there is already a new version of Rubygame released and is
active
very recently. See the Rubygame annouce mailing list archive, you will
see
the author just released a new version a few days ago.

It already attracted a few active developers working on Rubygame.
On 4/22/07, Han Dao <wikipediankiba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, there is already a new version of Rubygame released and is active
> very recently. See the Rubygame annouce mailing list archive, you will see
> the author just released a new version a few days ago.
>
> It already attracted a few active developers working on Rubygame.

Maybe this part of the infopage should be removed then.
Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> good, and I'm sure your framework can (and will) have different
> strengths to rubygame, as there is no "one size fits all" in software
> (otherwise, all games would use only one game engine, for example ;).

Absolutely agree. Do your own thing, the way you want.

- Charlie
076d793369cf7c992cc3984e95cee196?d=identicon&s=25 stoyan (Guest)
On Apr 22, 6:43 pm, Wim Vander Schelden <wim.vanderschel...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've released GameR, a small and simple game development framework for Ruby.
> Currently, it can do pretty much anything except for sound output. Features
> include a Timer class, graphics output, event handling and image support.

There is already pretty good game development in Ruby framework -
Miyako: http://www.twin.ne.jp/~cyross/Miyako/ (site is in Japanese).
Maybe better collaborate.
7f891fbe8e3bae7f9fe375407ce90d9d?d=identicon&s=25 Harold Hausman (Guest)
On 4/23/07, stoyan <stoyan@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't seen Ruby Gosu mentioned in this thread. The OP may also
want to check it out:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-gosu/

Regards,
-Harold
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On 4/23/07, Harold Hausman <hhausman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen Ruby Gosu mentioned in this thread. The OP may also
> want to check it out:
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-gosu/

Gosu is very pleasant to work with, but has (or had, as of a few
months ago) a bug that causes random segfaults under linux.

martin