Forum: Ruby on Rails basic question about mongrel

00dcbece2b58b70630eede8b2aed6911?d=identicon&s=25 anakintang (Guest)
on 2007-04-19 07:23
I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.

When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?

If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
error.

I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
"log/mongrel.pid" not found error.

Does anyone know how to solve that?

Thanks in advance
357a20e8c56e69d6f9734d23ef9517e8?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Z (Guest)
on 2007-04-19 07:38
anakintang wrote:
> I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.
>
> When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
> mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?
>
> If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
> error.
>
> I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
> fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
> "log/mongrel.pid" not found error.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve that?
>
> Thanks in advance

I think "mongrel_rails stop" is not supposed to work in Windows. Just
CTRL-C in the command window from which you started the server to stop
it.
2932e97aee5aad3e4a0aa21ed26b30b3?d=identicon&s=25 Yingqi Tang (anakintang)
on 2007-04-19 09:30
Andrew Z wrote:
> anakintang wrote:
>> I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.
>>
>> When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
>> mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?
>>
>> If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
>> error.
>>
>> I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
>> fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
>> "log/mongrel.pid" not found error.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to solve that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> I think "mongrel_rails stop" is not supposed to work in Windows. Just
> CTRL-C in the command window from which you started the server to stop
> it.

I suspect so cuz I have to start another cmd window to stop the one I
used for start, which is just not neat.