Forum: Ruby on Rails PDF-WRITER dpi change

72f8ab180f81f9c544e2b58da399c0be?d=identicon&s=25 Elad Meidar (eizesus)
on 2007-04-18 18:25
Hi all,

does anyone know how do i increase the DPI output of the PDF Writer gem?
i must use 300 and it uses only 72.
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (austin)
> does anyone know how do i increase the DPI output of the PDF Writer gem?
> i must use 300 and it uses only 72.

This is not true. PDF is a device-independent document format. Except
for bitmap images, there is no DPI measure at all, and it's wholly
your responsibility to use a large enough image to get 300 DPI.

PDF::Writer doesn't set any DPI settings at all.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
               * austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

Austin, its true at the end of the day you have X pixels by Y pixels
independent of DPI. But for some applications, they need the documents
size expressed in "inches".

In other words, when you go to document properties, it will currently
tell you the size based on 72 DPI, which will screw some applications up
if its setup to only look at the document size in inches.

Aryk Grosz

Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> does anyone know how do i increase the DPI output of the PDF Writer gem?
>> i must use 300 and it uses only 72.
>
> This is not true. PDF is a device-independent document format. Except
> for bitmap images, there is no DPI measure at all, and it's wholly
> your responsibility to use a large enough image to get 300 DPI.
>
> PDF::Writer doesn't set any DPI settings at all.
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
>                * austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/
>                * austin@zieglers.ca
525128e48ca2b4c7fb6176ea166fccfd?d=identicon&s=25 Eric G. (gotskill10)
on 2008-10-09 21:42
Elad, have you been able to solve this?