Forum: Ruby Ruby Install on VPS Server

0ea2f1b1a5916cab38100a2b7a8e6191?d=identicon&s=25 Alarustic (Guest)
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to help me install Ruby on my
Linux VPS Server?

The situation is my host does not actually offer support for Ruby but
they've said since I have SSH access I can install it myself.  The
problem is the installation of Linux is barebones, and no matter what
process I use I'm suffering because there's features missing.  No yum,
no gcc, dependency problems, etc.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to overcome it?

Thanks in advance.
Ac0085dae0703db56ad7f8cb9e1798ba?d=identicon&s=25 Phillip Gawlowski (Guest)
Alarustic wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to help me install Ruby on my
> Linux VPS Server?
>
> The situation is my host does not actually offer support for Ruby but
> they've said since I have SSH access I can install it myself.  The
> problem is the installation of Linux is barebones, and no matter what
> process I use I'm suffering because there's features missing.  No yum,
> no gcc, dependency problems, etc.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to overcome it?

My crystal ball says: Yes.

To give a more concrete answer, we need to know what your Linux distro
is, and you are probably better off asking in the forums/mailing list of
your distribution.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #4:

If you don't work on your project, chances are that no one will.
Cb7c371146108bd4abc3c00e20ad1137?d=identicon&s=25 Mark T (Guest)
I prepared by rolling all my Ruby dependencies into a directory.
This is then usable (anywhere). Some X-distro snafu not withstanding.
I also know which libraries are in use by virtue of this.
gems & installers are great.
Though debugging dependence / version issues can be easier with the
ambient knowledge this practice brings.

Markt