Forum: Ruby on Rails Prototype/jquery/yui-ext

Dave Olsson (Guest)
on 2007-04-12 09:32
Hi:

First of all I am a bit confused by all the different JS library cos I
am completely noob in JS world. However all the cool JS stuff just
rocks. Now I am trying to understand the following:

1. Some of the cool stuff that i want to do (like yui-ext comment
system).. can it be done using Prototype? is there any example or
something to learn from?

2. I know you can do that with Jquery but seems like there are lot of
work to put such stuff on production.. this i gather reading various
blog post.

3. Are there any rails-app (open source) that are using yui-ext or
jquery that I could look and learn from?

Thanks for any tips.
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 12 Apr 2007, at 09:32, Dave Olsson wrote:

> First of all I am a bit confused by all the different JS library cos I
> am completely noob in JS world. However all the cool JS stuff just
> rocks. Now I am trying to understand the following:
>
> 1. Some of the cool stuff that i want to do (like yui-ext comment
> system).. can it be done using Prototype? is there any example or
> something to learn from?

ExtJS now has a version that uses Prototype/scriptaculous instead of
YUI.

> 2. I know you can do that with Jquery but seems like there are lot of
> work to put such stuff on production.. this i gather reading various
> blog post.

JQuery is really great, but in my experience there are more bugs in
it than Prototype/scriptaculous. Proto/script also has the advantage
of leaning towards the Ruby syntax in its Javascript extensions, so
it's easier to pick up than the other libraries, which lean towards
other languages (such as Java with GWT for example).

> 3. Are there any rails-app (open source) that are using yui-ext or
> jquery that I could look and learn from?

Not that I know of.

I would advise you to stick with Prototype/scriptaculous for the
moment (there seems to be a new JQuery for Rails plugin in the works,
but it hasn't been released yet) and buy the book "Prototype and
scriptaculous in Action" from Manning. This way, you'll be able to
use the built-in Rails helpers for the basic stuff and fall back to
custom JS code for the fancy stuff.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
linoj (Guest)
Has anyone actually read "Prototype and Scriptaculous in Action" yet?
it was published just a couple weeks ago and there's no reviews on
amazon.

How does it compare with "Ajax on Rails" from O'Reilly?