Forum: Ruby on Rails activescaffold vs streamlined vs ?

Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)
hi,

I'm exploring options for a new app we're developing that requires
display of a lot of sortable/searchable tables with content that
differs based on who is logged in, their permissions, etc.

Some pages will have multiple tables. Data may have relationships. In-
place editing is nice but not required.

(I'll handle user authentication and permissions separately. What I'm
evaluating now is the display and user control of the data tables).

I've installed and experimented with ActiveScaffold and Streamlined
plugins. To my limited experience, they both seem similarly capable
for this. Or are they? How would you compare the two? and/or recommend
I consider another.

thanks
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 gene.tani@gmail.com (Guest)
On Apr 11, 11:57 pm, "linoj" <lino...@gmail.com> wrote:
> evaluating now is the display and user control of the data tables).
>
> I've installed and experimented with ActiveScaffold and Streamlined
> plugins. To my limited experience, they both seem similarly capable
> for this. Or are they? How would you compare the two? and/or recommend
> I consider another.
>
> thanks

a little info:
http://ruby.mn/archive/show/9456
Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)
Thanks for that link.
I know that Streamlined (and ActiveScaffold) started out as "fancy"
admin interfaces but I believe both have evolved to be used as front-
facing user interfaces, especially when model views are in a tabular
format. Would you agree?

Has anyone else here used either or both, who could share additional
comments? thx
Ea94dbb5d740e9d4adc6200f9c563452?d=identicon&s=25 Yitzhak Bar Geva (yitzhakbg)
Anybody have an opinion on this? Which of the two: Activescaffold or
Streamlined is preferable and why?
03904beab6477e7228c0495e4c0975c3?d=identicon&s=25 gustin (Guest)
We reviewed both for quite awhile. Of the two, streamlined is more
advanced and customizable.
In the end we went with a custom admin interface. While streamlined is
pretty configurable, it is still limiting in some situations.
In the time it takes to research and configure streamlined, you could
probably roll your own...

~)o
gustin

http://www.entryway.net
Ea94dbb5d740e9d4adc6200f9c563452?d=identicon&s=25 Yitzhak Bar Geva (yitzhakbg)
Interesting. From what I could discern on the forums, ActiveScaffold
is the more mature and preferred, although Streamlined is making
headway. I also looked closely at the size of their communities and
the message traffic. Both seem to be solid projects here to stay.
Yitzhak