Forum: Ruby sending irb session to a file in windows

Cd9b5c14565e85b8877b9dabbbf78368?d=identicon&s=25 aeggers@gmail.com (Guest)
I'm looking to send an irb session to a file. How do people do this on
Windows?

Andy
On Apr 10, 2007, at 10:40 AM, aeggers@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking to send an irb session to a file. How do people do this on
> Windows?

Here's what you need:

http://blog.bleything.net/2006/10/21/shell-style-h...

James Edward Gray II
Cd9b5c14565e85b8877b9dabbbf78368?d=identicon&s=25 andy eggers (Guest)
Thanks, James, this is useful, although it appears that it only
retains the history of commands I enter, without the irb output
(return values, errors, etc). I'm surprised there's no way to send all
of an irb session (input and output) to a file -- if I'm still missing
something, please someone let me know.

For what I want to do (mostly, I just want to pull out snippets from
an irb session to describe code behavior), what works best for me so
far is to put the command prompt in QuickEdit Mode and manually copy
out sections to the clipboard. (I went a long, frustrating time
without knowing about this -- to turn it on, click the mini-command
prompt on the upper left of the command prompt window and adjust
defaults or properties.)

Andy

On Apr 10, 1:38 pm, James Edward Gray II <j...@grayproductions.net>
90a73d9875462aaa9fab2feffafbffe7?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Bleything (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007, andy eggers wrote:
> Thanks, James, this is useful, although it appears that it only
> retains the history of commands I enter, without the irb output
> (return values, errors, etc). I'm surprised there's no way to send all
> of an irb session (input and output) to a file -- if I'm still missing
> something, please someone let me know.

As far as I know (and I'm definitely open to the possibility that I'm
wrong here) that's not really possible outside of windows, either.  You
can capture the output, but getting both the input and output would be
tricky.

I think your best bet is to just copy/paste the sections as you describe
below.  That's what I'd be doing on OSX to accomplish the same thing.

An alternative would be to look at the history stuff James pointed you
at, and edit the part that writes history out to a file to also exec
each line and put its output in the file.  My guess is that would get
you most of the way there.

Either way, please share what you figure out :)

Ben
753dcb78b3a3651127665da4bed3c782?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Candler (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:21:09PM +0900, Ben Bleything wrote:
> tricky.
It's easy in Linux:

$ script foo.txt
$ irb
irb>
irb> exit
$ exit
$ cat foo.txt

Technically that only captures the output, but since the output includes
the
keystrokes you typed echoed back, that's what you see on the screen.
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007, Brian Candler wrote:
> It's easy in Linux:
>
> $ script foo.txt

oh DUH.  I always forget about script.  Thanks for reminding me.

Ben