Forum: Ruby Re: TZ bug in Date and DateTime.strftime formatter?

B0fe1ea0c6210c2ecf78d255f162681f?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Hopkinson (jah)
> !#$%#$@  (As they used to say in the comic books, not realizing that they
were coding in perl)
Really? I thought it was a Ruby golf solution.

As a newcomer to this list I'm dismayed by the constant anti-Perl
TBH its really putting me off getting involved with Ruby at all.

Incidently, I also subscribe to a couple of Python lists where there
any of this BS.

So what is it CPAN envy?

"Ruby inherited the Perl philosophy of having more than one way to do
the same thing. I inherited that philosophy from Larry Wall,
who is my hero actually. I want to make Ruby users free.
I want to give them the freedom to choose."

Yukihiro Matsumoto
1c0cd550766a3ee3e4a9c495926e4603?d=identicon&s=25 John Joyce (Guest)
On Apr 10, 2007, at 11:21 PM, HOPKINSON, Jonathan, GBM wrote:

> there isn't
> Yukihiro Matsumoto
> !#$%#$@  (As they used to say in the comic books, not realizing
> that they
> were coding in perl)

Why the thin skin? It's a joke about the way Perl code often appears.
It's not literally true and not a personal attack on Perl users. On
the contrary, quite a few Ruby users all have lots of experience with
Perl and there is no hate towards Perl. I bet a lot of folks around
here still use Perl. I don't but I still like Perl! At times pieces
of Perl code can be pretty dense. This is true of most languages