Forum: Ruby What GUI toolkit do you use and why?

C553cce5633f83100e22f130e10f168d?d=identicon&s=25 Hey You (r3madi)
on 2007-04-10 03:01
Well I have developed GUIs in Python using wxPython so I am not too new
to GUI building but I was wondering which GUI toolkit do you guys use? I
have googled GUI toolkits and I am pretty impressed with the "fxRuby"
toolkit but which ones do you guys suggest?
669b7046f02e5dfc4bda4421f1069731?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Fenton (Guest)
Hey You wrote:
> Well I have developed GUIs in Python using wxPython so I am not too new
> to GUI building but I was wondering which GUI toolkit do you guys use?

This thread comes up fairly frequently; it's worth searching the list
archives, though bear in mind that some posts may be out of date now.

If you've used wxPython before, you might consider wxRuby
(http://wxruby.rubyforge.org) which is a binding to the same library.
Historically it has been less mature and complete than other bindings
but has had a lot of development over the past twelve months.

> have googled GUI toolkits and I am pretty impressed with the "fxRuby"
> toolkit but which ones do you guys suggest?

fxRuby is widely used and is a robust port; QtRuby and Ruby-gtk are both
excellent GUI toolkits for ruby. They all have strengths and weaknesses
and in the end it will depend on your criteria; things you might
consider:

- documentation and samples
- the aesthetics and behaviour of the toolkit on different platforms
- range of widgets, particularly the ones you definitely need
- maturity, stability and completeness
- community and development activity
- style of the API
- ease of installation on different platforms

hth
91e1fb8bd265b7629491ab64c42f0906?d=identicon&s=25 Reid Thompson (Guest)
Hey You wrote:
> Well I have developed GUIs in Python using wxPython so I am not too new
> to GUI building but I was wondering which GUI toolkit do you guys use? I
> have googled GUI toolkits and I am pretty impressed with the "fxRuby"
> toolkit but which ones do you guys suggest?

which:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi

why:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?ruby-gl...