Forum: Ruby Having Problem Installing RMagick

9e6d05909dc733af570faadce1392e67?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Satterwhite (msatterwhite)
on 2007-04-06 23:58
I'm trying to install RMagick on Kubuntu Dapper using Rubygems. My
installation is failing with the following error message:

configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find Magick-config or
GraphicsMagick-config program.

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr//lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.15.5 for inspection.

Results logged to
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.15.5/gem_make.out

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.15.5/gem_make.out is an empty
file.

My guess is that there's something I need to install, but I haven't the
foggiest what package. I've browsed through Synaptic, but I don't see an
obvious development package I've missed.

Could someone offer me a little help here?

Thanks in advance
---Michael
C40020a47c6b625af6422b5b1302abaf?d=identicon&s=25 Stefano Crocco (crocco)
Alle venerdì 6 aprile 2007, Michael Satterwhite ha scritto:

> obvious development package I've missed.
>
> Could someone offer me a little help here?
>
> Thanks in advance
> ---Michael

The first line of the error message tells that the installation script
wasn't
able to find one of the two programs Magick-config or
GraphicsMagick-config.
Going to the Ubuntu packages site (http://packages.ubuntu.com/) and
entering
that name in the search contents of packages field, you'll find that the
package you need is called libmagick9-dev (note: I don't use
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, so I can't test my suggestion.)

I hope this helps

Stefano
3afd3e5e05dc9310c89aa5762cc8dd1d?d=identicon&s=25 Timothy Hunter (Guest)
Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm trying to install RMagick on Kubuntu Dapper using Rubygems. My
> installation is failing with the following error message:
>
> configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find Magick-config or
> GraphicsMagick-config program.

Google "rmagick kubuntu install" gets me this hit. I notice it was last
updated on 2/27/2006.

http://blog.inlet-media.de/rmagick-does-not-play-w...