Forum: Ruby on Rails My mongrel keeps shutting down

8e7e5b934fcbcdfb475072685755457f?d=identicon&s=25 Taylor Strait (Guest)
on 2007-04-05 18:44
I'm on a VPS running CentOS.  I startup my server with:

mongrel_rails start -d -p 3000 -e production

and it runs for a while.  But later I receive '502 Bad Gateway' errors
implying my mongrel has crapped out.  So in the console I do this:

[prompt]# mongrel_rails start -d -p 3000 -e production

** !!! PID file log/mongrel.pid already exists.  Mongrel could be
running already.  Check your log/mongrel.log for errors.
** !!! Exiting with error.  You must stop mongrel and clear the .pid
before I'll attempt a start.

[prompt]# mongrel_rails stop

Sending TERM to Mongrel at PID 1298...Process does not exist.  Not
running.
Done.

So I have to manually delete log/mongrel.pid to be able to restart the
service.  log/mongrel.log shows no errors.  How can I:

1) find out why mongrel is failing
1) stop mongrel_rails from failing?
2) make it restart automatically
Dfd6f9989147955682701da8227df8b4?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Wang (Guest)
Taylor Strait wrote:
> ** !!! PID file log/mongrel.pid already exists.  Mongrel could be
>

> So I have to manually delete log/mongrel.pid to be able to restart the
> service.  log/mongrel.log shows no errors.  How can I:
>
> 1) find out why mongrel is failing
> 1) stop mongrel_rails from failing?
> 2) make it restart automatically

You might want to try the Mongrel mailing list:

Michael Wang