Forum: Ruby Asynchronous command call

7cab3de4cd313089a2425250a404b0be?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)
on 2007-04-05 09:52
I am trying to use a ruby script to start a apache tomcat server like

dir = "C:\\program\\apache-tomcat-5.5.20\\bin"
`#{dir}\\shutdown.bat` rescue nil

This works, except that the program never exits. I would like the
startup call to be made Asynchronous so that the script would just call
startup and then exit.

Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

On 05.04.2007 09:52, Guest wrote:
> startup and then exit.
> Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

You could use cmd's command "start".

H:\>start /?
Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.

START ["title"] [/D path] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
       [/AFFINITY <hex affinity>] [/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]

     "title"     Title to display in  window title bar.
     path        Starting directory
     B           Start application without creating a new window. The
                 application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the
                 enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to
                 the application
     I           The new environment will be the original environment
                 to the cmd.exe and not the current environment.
     MIN         Start window minimized
     MAX         Start window maximized
     SEPARATE    Start 16-bit Windows program in separate memory space
     SHARED      Start 16-bit Windows program in shared memory space
     LOW         Start application in the IDLE priority class
     NORMAL      Start application in the NORMAL priority class
     HIGH        Start application in the HIGH priority class
     REALTIME    Start application in the REALTIME priority class
     ABOVENORMAL Start application in the ABOVENORMAL priority class
     BELOWNORMAL Start application in the BELOWNORMAL priority class
     AFFINITY    The new application will have the specified processor
                 affinity mask, expressed as a hexadecimal number.
     WAIT        Start application and wait for it to terminate
                 If it is an internal cmd command or a batch file then
                 the command processor is run with the /K switch to
                 This means that the window will remain after the
                 has been run.

                 If it is not an internal cmd command or batch file then
                 it is a program and will run as either a windowed
                 or a console application.

     parameters  These are the parameters passed to the command/program

If Command Extensions are enabled, external command invocation
through the command line or the START command changes as follows:

non-executable files may be invoked through their file association just
     by typing the name of the file as a command.  (e.g.  WORD.DOC would
     launch the application associated with the .DOC file extension).
     See the ASSOC and FTYPE commands for how to create these
     associations from within a command script.

When executing an application that is a 32-bit GUI application, CMD.EXE
     does not wait for the application to terminate before returning to
     the command prompt.  This new behavior does NOT occur if executing
     within a command script.

When executing a command line whose first token is the string "CMD "
     without an extension or path qualifier, then "CMD" is replaced with
     the value of the COMSPEC variable.  This prevents picking up
     from the current directory.

When executing a command line whose first token does NOT contain an
     extension, then CMD.EXE uses the value of the PATHEXT
     environment variable to determine which extensions to look for
     and in what order.  The default value for the PATHEXT variable

     Notice the syntax is the same as the PATH variable, with
     semicolons separating the different elements.

When searching for an executable, if there is no match on any extension,
then looks to see if the name matches a directory name.  If it does, the
START command launches the Explorer on that path.  If done from the
command line, it is the equivalent to doing a CD /D to that path.

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Guest wrote:

> startup and then exit.
> Ive tried calling startup in a different thread, with the same result.

use exec