Forum: Ruby Subversion wrapper in Ruby

5da4c52f43677f395aff5bde775593c2?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Schierbeck (dasch)
I've begun developing a small library that wraps the command-line
Subversion commands, so that you can call SVN.copy(src, dest, :message
=> 'chunky bacon') etc. These will only cover the methods Subversion
directly supports.

The reason I'm making this library is actually that I want to have Rake
tasks that automate tagging, branching, etc. of my repository.
Currently, the most advanced thing I have is this:

  SVN::TagReleaseTask.new do |t|
    t.repository = 'svn://svn.example.org/bacon'
    t.version = '1.2.3'
  end

Calling `rake svn:tag:release' will then issue the following to the
command line:

  svn copy svn://svn.example.org/bacon/trunk
svn://svn.example.org/bacon/tags/release-1.2.3 --message "tagging
release 1.2.3"

Do you have any special wishes? As soon as the Rubyforge submission goes
through I'll make an alpha gem for those wanting to get their hands
dirty :)

Cheers,
Daniel
753dcb78b3a3651127665da4bed3c782?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Candler (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:26:12AM +0900, Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
>     t.repository = 'svn://svn.example.org/bacon'
>     t.version = '1.2.3'
>   end
>
> Calling `rake svn:tag:release' will then issue the following to the
> command line:
>
>   svn copy svn://svn.example.org/bacon/trunk
> svn://svn.example.org/bacon/tags/release-1.2.3 --message "tagging
> release 1.2.3"

As an aside: there are direct Ruby bindings into the underlying libsvn,
so
it's possible to talk to a SVN repository directly (local or remote)
without
spawning an external command.

Unfortunately libsvn doesn't seem to be well documented, especially for
remote access. A couple of interesting posts are here:
http://agylen.com/2006/07/14/using-the-ruby-bindin...
http://www.oneofthewolves.com/2007/03/06/ruby-subv...

So you're probably right to use the command-line interface.

Regards,

Brian.
9f1dc407a86b3b81ad428a509d079ce1?d=identicon&s=25 Han Dao (Guest)
Wow, I hope you will follow through and stay active. Many people don't
even
get past the coding part.

I think this will be neat. I already developed a script that
automatically
add .rb files, but it take me several tries and lot of example code. I
hope
this library you're developing will ease the process of writing SVN ruby
scripts.

I don't really have anything special to wish for, except an easy to use
API.

Wish you all the best luck in the world.
D72ef5027d7dbbe1563492e2de4d2d5c?d=identicon&s=25 A.S. Bradbury (Guest)
On 4/3/07, Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've begun developing a small library that wraps the command-line
> Subversion commands, so that you can call SVN.copy(src, dest, :message
> => 'chunky bacon') etc. These will only cover the methods Subversion
> directly supports.

See also RSCM, http://rscm.rubyforge.org/ which looks interesting.

Alex
On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 19:55 +0900, Han Dao wrote:

> Wish you all the best luck in the world.

Thank you very much! I'm really just adding some convenience methods --
most of the work goes into the Rake tasks.

Cheers,
Daniel
F0afd024e17c0c4753aa8d618ba9bb0f?d=identicon&s=25 Marcin Raczkowski (Guest)
On Tuesday 03 April 2007 20:26, Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
>     t.repository = 'svn://svn.example.org/bacon'
> Do you have any special wishes? As soon as the Rubyforge submission goes
> through I'll make an alpha gem for those wanting to get their hands
> dirty :)
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel

well i can only wish you good luck - svn support is much needed - from
me i
can paste code that i found on wiki somewhere and modified a little - it
adds/deletes all changed files in directory to SVN.