Forum: Ruby on Rails Image Getter

607d3eb2d8ae3d07c5075e4f56c479c2?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gallagher (gala)

Im trying to create a feature in my rails project that handles a certain
style of image request. My images could potentially be sotred anywhere
on a local disk and hence will not have an application server behind
them which rules out just storing the urls in the database and calling
them.

so in theory a page could request an image file by referencing a the
number 12345 . what it needs to do then is get this image from disk and
return it to the rails project.

Is this possible in ruby on rails?
Hi Chris,

Chris Gallagher wrote:

> so in theory a page could request an image file
> by referencing a the number 12345 . what it needs
> to do then is get this image from disk and return it
> to the rails project.
>
> Is this possible in ruby on rails?

You can allow a visitor to upload files, but no web app can simply grab
files off a visitor's computer.  If visitor uploads are what you're
looking
for, see the file_field or file_field_tag methods at
http://api.rubyonrails.org/

hth,
Bill
607d3eb2d8ae3d07c5075e4f56c479c2?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gallagher (gala)
on 2007-04-03 17:01
Bill Walton wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Gallagher wrote:
>
>> so in theory a page could request an image file
>> by referencing a the number 12345 . what it needs
>> to do then is get this image from disk and return it
>> to the rails project.
>>
>> Is this possible in ruby on rails?
>
> You can allow a visitor to upload files, but no web app can simply grab
> files off a visitor's computer.  If visitor uploads are what you're
> looking
> for, see the file_field or file_field_tag methods at
> http://api.rubyonrails.org/
>
> hth,
> Bill

Sorry i must have explained that badly.

Basically there are going to be thousands of images, so we dont want to
be storing them within our rails /images directory for example and would
rather have a section of disk space for that.