Forum: GNU Radio GNU Radio on Windows XP (or Vista...)

3045397bfbb92f92bdbed4b003ecb2c9?d=identicon&s=25 John Clark (Guest)
I've been asked about getting the code we are using running on a Windows
XP or Vista based box.

Is there a 'easy' to understand installable package, or do I have to
setup a cygwin environment
(or having set cygwin up, is there a packaged tar image...), and then
compile from sourced
to get things going?

Also, on the topic of Windows support, is the 'graphics' using the
windows native environment
or does one have to run an X server?

Thanks
John Clark.
Ad84973e0d95196c6e59bed61c3f349a?d=identicon&s=25 Don Ward (Guest)
> I've been asked about getting the code we are using running on a Windows
> XP or Vista based box.

It runs fine on XP; it should run on Vista, but I haven't heard of
anyone
who has tried it.

> Is there a 'easy' to understand installable package, or do I have to setup
> a cygwin environment
> (or having set cygwin up, is there a packaged tar image...), and then
> compile from sourced
> to get things going?

The wiki page http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsInstall pretty
much
explains the current options (Cygwin or MSYS) and points to step-by-step
instructions for each system.

> Also, on the topic of Windows support, is the 'graphics' using the windows
> native environment
> or does one have to run an X server?

GNU Radio uses wxPython, which can be built to use native Windows
graphics;
no X server is needed.

-- Don Ward