Forum: Ruby on Rails revision control plan

Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Linowes (Guest)

I want to start using svn for my projects. I'm a one person company.
I want to use it for revision control, archiving/backup, as well as
deployment (eventually). And from time to time, I work with
subcontractors or collaborate with others.

For starters, would you just check in the whole rails generated
directory (including any plugins, tmp files etc) or do you cherry
pick the directories to check in? The latter makes more sense but
seems a pita and error prone (forgetting to commit some files).

I figure initially I'll just use a repository on my localhost. Soon
enough, I expect to move it to my internet server.

On the other hand, Google Code looks pretty promising. http://
code.google.com/  It uses subversion too.

Also, I'm on Mac OSX, and see there are some GUI's for svn, which
maybe i could use with the local repro, an internet repro, and/or
google code. Anyone here have experience with these?
www.lachoseinteractive.net/  ,  zigversion.com

Any other suggestions for strategy and implementation would be helpful.

thx

linoj
Dfd6f9989147955682701da8227df8b4?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Wang (Guest)

http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2006/03/09/subver...

--
Michael Wang
Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)

Any comments on using Google Code for a repro?
Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)
that's http://code.google.com/hosting/ I'm referring to
Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)
D1f1c20467562fc1d8c8aa0d328def62?d=identicon&s=25 Florian Gilcher (skade)
on 2007-03-28 19:40
> Also, I'm on Mac OSX, and see there are some GUI's for svn, which
> maybe i could use with the local repro, an internet repro, and/or
> google code. Anyone here have experience with these?
> www.lachoseinteractive.net/  ,  zigversion.com

I am a big fan of Textmates [ http://macromates.com/ ] Subversion GUI.
It is almost as good as Tortoise ;). Also, i like my version control
system integrated in my working environment.
It has a small drawback: if you do not use Textmate, its not an option.
Cd804cfeeea508f6bf2f5487c9ef4aed?d=identicon&s=25 linoj (Guest)
Thanks for that. Are you referring to the textmate bundle? It does
look handy on a file by file basis. But I wouldnt call it a GUI, more
like a "menu", i mean i couldn't find a way to see at a glance which
files have changed or need to be added, like ZigVersion and svnX.
D1f1c20467562fc1d8c8aa0d328def62?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)
on 2007-03-29 17:43
linoj wrote:
> Thanks for that. Are you referring to the textmate bundle? It does
> look handy on a file by file basis. But I wouldnt call it a GUI, more
> like a "menu", i mean i couldn't find a way to see at a glance which
> files have changed or need to be added, like ZigVersion and svnX.

Use Projects, select a Folder and use Subversion -> Status. Trust me, it
is more than a menu ;). It doesn't handle switch/branch (yet?), but I
usually use the console for such tasks.