Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails Database with foreign keys?

F78fd8716ec7e845e48a9439f1ccd6e6?d=identicon&s=25 nikola.borisof@gmail.com (Guest)

I started a project on Ruby on Rails some time ago when the migration
feature wasn't part of Rails. I used to have one big SQL file that
creates the whole database and adds the foreign constraints. They
looked like that:

CONSTRAINT FK_users_countries
        FOREIGN KEY FK_users_countries (country_id)
            REFERENCES countries(country_id)
            ON DELETE RESTRICT
            ON UPDATE RESTRICT

Now I want to use migration features so I used

rake db:schema:dump

When I look at the schema.rb file i don't like what i see ;(. All the
tables are there but the are no primary keys and also there are no
Foreign Keys.

My question is can i use the ruby way to create foreign keys? And why

rake db:schema:dump

doesn't work?

Nikola
54d80d7f453dbeb62be9604bda054788?d=identicon&s=25 dysinger (Guest)
Rails nerds are not big on FKs - I don't like it but if want to play
along - learn to.

You can put FK constraints in your migrations as SQL statements -
execute """ ALTER ..... """

The FK don't show up in the schema.rb - See first statement above

They cause problems with fixtures - See first statement above

On Mar 25, 2:53 pm, "nikola.bori...@gmail.com"
361ba1bcc1d2c5a8885dd093dbb96bb6?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Kovacs (Guest)
google for the foreign key migrations plugin from redhill consulting. I
use
that on my rails apps and it works great.
Ae6e52527ec47e4140c3b560e2004498?d=identicon&s=25 Weverton Gomes (Guest)
There is a plugin, from RedHill consulting, that allow you create FK´s:
http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/rails_plugins.html

--
Weverton Gomes de Morais
Tecnólogo em Redes de Comunicação