Forum: Ruby on Rails Help with Rails Vs Grails benchmark comparison

E3ca69382186f5bce8b43ff5f0cb2287?d=identicon&s=25 kate rhodes (Guest)
Graeme Rocher (one of the lead Grails guys) has put together a benchmark
comparison between a simplistic Rails app and a Grails app.
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Grails+vs+...

But there's some weirdness in the results that people with more Mongrel
knowledge than I can help out with. The Rails app was given a cluster of
10
mongrels and the Grails app was limited to a max of 10 threads under
tomcat
to keep everything even. What's weird is that Rails performance
*degraded*
compared to when it was just run with one mongrel. Obviously there's
something whacked with that and we would really appreciate your insight
make this a totally balanced comparison.

There's some weirdness on the Java side of things too for any of you
with
good Tomcat knowledge. For some reason Grails seemed to perform *better*
when Tomcat was limited to 10 threads as opposed to when it ran under
the
default # of threads.

Feel free to respond here or drop me an e-mail privately and I'll make
sure
it gets to the right people. :)

--
- kate = masukomi
http://weblog.masukomi.org/
kate rhodes wrote:
> Graeme Rocher (one of the lead Grails guys) has put together a
> benchmark comparison between a simplistic Rails app and a Grails app.
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GRAILS/Grails+vs+...
>
> What's weird is that Rails performance *degraded* compared to when it
> was just run with one mongrel. Obviously there's something whacked
> with that and we would really appreciate your insight to make this a
> totally balanced comparison.
yes.. the thing is they are running rails in development mode, so every
class is getting reloaded every time.

I posted it already at the original blog post, so hopefully they'll
re-benchmark and more accurate results should be produced (taking into
account the benchmarking is not by any means exhaustive)

regards,

javier ramirez

--
--------
Estamos de estreno... si necesitas llevar el control de tus gastos