Forum: Ruby on Rails captcha or not captcha?

E5a578d46a1ea27124cf40b6f783be51?d=identicon&s=25 eric (Guest)
on 2007-03-21 00:17
hi, I'm developing a RoR application and I'm doing the registration and
contact pages, the two most important things are the accessibility of
the site and the multi language support (I think by globalize). So the
question is, I should use a captcha for these pages? I think that if I
won't use it I'll get a lot of useless records in the db, but with a
captcha the accessibility became low... and a logic captcha i think that
will be a problem for a multiple language support..
what do you suggest me ?
I thought about a javascript captcha, can be ok? what do you think ?
2f9a03aa0fcfe945229cb6126eda2cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
> hi, I'm developing a RoR application and I'm doing the registration and
> contact pages, the two most important things are the accessibility of
> the site and the multi language support (I think by globalize). So the
> question is, I should use a captcha for these pages? I think that if I
> won't use it I'll get a lot of useless records in the db, but with a
> captcha the accessibility became low... and a logic captcha i think that
> will be a problem for a multiple language support..
> what do you suggest me ?
> I thought about a javascript captcha, can be ok? what do you think ?

Maybe look at the form-spam-protection plugin if you're willing to
require
javascript...

http://code.google.com/p/form-spam-protection/

I've got that on a site I did for a contact form and to my knowledge the
recipient hasn't had any problems...

-philip
E5a578d46a1ea27124cf40b6f783be51?d=identicon&s=25 eric (Guest)
on 2007-03-21 13:30
Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> hi, I'm developing a RoR application and I'm doing the registration and
>> contact pages, the two most important things are the accessibility of
>> the site and the multi language support (I think by globalize). So the
>> question is, I should use a captcha for these pages? I think that if I
>> won't use it I'll get a lot of useless records in the db, but with a
>> captcha the accessibility became low... and a logic captcha i think that
>> will be a problem for a multiple language support..
>> what do you suggest me ?
>> I thought about a javascript captcha, can be ok? what do you think ?
>
> Maybe look at the form-spam-protection plugin if you're willing to
> require
> javascript...
>
> http://code.google.com/p/form-spam-protection/
>
> I've got that on a site I did for a contact form and to my knowledge the
> recipient hasn't had any problems...
>
> -philip

and if the js is disabled what happen? a captcha is shown?
do you think is better to have a captcha ?
2f9a03aa0fcfe945229cb6126eda2cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)

> and if the js is disabled what happen? a captcha is shown?
> do you think is better to have a captcha ?

Then alternative HTML is shown indicating that the user needs to enable
javascript...
E5a578d46a1ea27124cf40b6f783be51?d=identicon&s=25 eric (Guest)
on 2007-03-22 00:15
Philip Hallstrom wrote:

>> and if the js is disabled what happen? a captcha is shown?
>> do you think is better to have a captcha ?
>
> Then alternative HTML is shown indicating that the user needs to enable
> javascript...

this is not good....and not accessible... :(