Forum: Ruby Ruby/Tk and OS X--deployment question

D2bff075522befb15313dab85f3a671b?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Walzer (Guest)
I'm learning GUI programming with Ruby/Tk on Mac OS X (10.4.9). How does
one deploy standalone Ruby applications on OS X, especially if you are
not using Ruby-Cocoa? Is there a tool like py2app (Python) that gathers
up the libraries and frameworks and scripts and generates a standalone
app bundle?
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm learning GUI programming with Ruby/Tk on Mac OS X (10.4.9). How does one
> deploy standalone Ruby applications on OS X, especially if you are not using
> Ruby-Cocoa? Is there a tool like py2app (Python) that gathers up the
> libraries and frameworks and scripts and generates a standalone app bundle?

google rubyscript2exe.

-a
F3b02532d4cb4855881935c002389213?d=identicon&s=25 Morton Goldberg (Guest)
On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:58 PM, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> google rubyscript2exe.
Although the RubyScript2Exe website mentions OS X support, it seems
to be very experimental. How well does it work on OS X?. Can you make
a double-clickable .app package with it?

I have been able to use Automator to make a Finder launchable app
that runs a Ruby/Tk script. I was even able to install my own Finder
icons (.icns) into it. Doing it with Automator is somewhat kludgy and
the resulting package has about a 220 KB footprint, but process is
simple and reliable.

Regards, Morton
D8914caf9cc67403f1f153e0a2104293?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Baldwin (Guest)
On 20 Mar 2007, at 20:50, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm learning GUI programming with Ruby/Tk on Mac OS X (10.4.9). How
> does one deploy standalone Ruby applications on OS X, especially if
> you are not using Ruby-Cocoa? Is there a tool like py2app (Python)
> that gathers up the libraries and frameworks and scripts and
> generates a standalone app bundle?

http://www.sveinbjorn.org/platypus

Dave.