Forum: Ruby on Rails One Rails application running 100 distinct websites

18989f5699fa8619c8e9b301b6cb5088?d=identicon&s=25 David Kennedy (Guest)
I'm hoping to find someone who realizes the implications of this design
strategy.I am attempting to build an application that can run 100
distinct domains. (not a but
My strategy is to create an http request that looks like *
project.controller.action.keyvalue* and pass this throughout the
application. The "Project" record holds the particulars of each distinct
Each view has .rhtml code that fills the readable areas with <%="#{
table.row.field}"%> and there is ZERO hardcoded text. Our views would
their elements like:
link_to: #{table.row.columname}
                                               :Project => project
                                               :Action=> action
                                               :Id => id
I know this 'shifts' away from the accepted DNN Rails paradigm, but
DNN 'shift' when he designed Rails?I am grateful to hear if anyone is
pursuing this direction.
Thank you,
67d3880bbfaafdb2a2108b7c9a64df47?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian Madrid (Guest)

I pursued this direction already and created an internal CMS that
takes it one step further: there are no file system (FS) view files,
everything is int he DB. Basically you end up with one controller and
one method for everything. I had to do some monkey patching but it
works and it is hosting some sites that have decent traffic. I must
say, though, that Rails is a little bit too big in features for such a
direction so I am evaluating other implementation of the publishing
layer. Nevertheless, the admin site is in Rails and uses much of the
features that Rails has built-in. Write me off-list if you are
interested in more details.

Adrian Madrid

On 3/20/07, David Kennedy <> wrote:
> link_to: #{table.row.columname}
> Thank you,
> David
>  >

Adrian Esteban Madrid
2d3288b6e1189c1ebb64d9a224964ef8?d=identicon&s=25 Long (Guest)
If you are using a Proxy server (like Apache) you could use Proxy
and Proxy Reverse (not sure of spelling here) for each of the domain VH
This way you can create your Rails app with normal routes and URLs like

-- Long - Free online business directory for local
communities - No-Cookie Session Support plugin for