Forum: Inkscape Transparent background?

A85fa6f89d8c7cf2fb27bf1c353bb32a?d=identicon&s=25 jleampark (Guest)
on 2007-03-20 15:25
Is there a way to export an Inkscape image as a .jpg but with a
transparent background?

Or is there a way to create an Inkscape image with a transparent
background?

Thanks.
F850fe157049f014ec84fb4d091bcf51?d=identicon&s=25 Edson Santos (Guest)
Use PNG ;-)
only jpeg2000 support fake transparency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000#Comparison_with_PNG

2007/3/20, jleampark <joseph.w.park@census.gov>:
C710ea75e5ef49d5200891f014a46547?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey Brent McBeth (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 03:25:17PM +0100, jleampark wrote:
> Is there a way to export an Inkscape image as a .jpg but with a
> transparent background?

Inkscape can't export JPEGs, and JPEGs can't do transparency, so I think
that is a double no :)

> Or is there a way to create an Inkscape image with a transparent
> background?

Yes, Inkscape exports PNGs, and PNGs support transparencies beautifully.
If
you are going for web deployment, be aware that IE6's PNG support is
broken.

Jeff
B011a6257ec8ca752f7245d30899addf?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Spike (Guest)
jleampark wrote:
> Is there a way to export an Inkscape image as a .jpg but with a
> transparent background?

One limitation of the JPEG format is that it does not support
transparency.

> Or is there a way to create an Inkscape image with a transparent
> background?

Inkscape exports PNGs with transparency by default. If you've noticed a
gray background the problem is likely your viewer (eg, Internet Explorer
 less than version 7). It is possible to convert an image to a different
form of transparency using a program like GIMP.

Aaron Spike

your
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
Existing account