Forum: Ruby using tcp port via socket on windows 2000 server

Ec727e8238a8ebbfe98e84d4fafeb1d4?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Here's a very simple ruby app that will listen to tcp port 9990.  It
works on my client windows xp machine, but when i put it on windows
2000 server, it doesn't work.  no port filtering is being done, so i'm
assuming that all ports are available.  any suggestions?  how do i
find out what ports are available.

require 'socket'
sessions = {}
serv=TCPServer.new('localhost',9990)
puts 'Server running...'
while(session = serv.accept)
   command = session.gets
   puts command
end
753dcb78b3a3651127665da4bed3c782?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Candler (Guest)
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 10:40:06AM +0900, seannakasone@yahoo.com wrote:
> while(session = serv.accept)
>    command = session.gets
>    puts command
> end

I don't have a Windows 2000 machine, but I think in any case you'll need
provide more details for anyone to be able to help you. What do you mean
by
"it doesn't work"? It could mean:

- the program raises an exception (if so, post the exact error message)

- a client gets 'connection refused' when it tries to connect to port
9990
  (if so, this means the server isn't listening on port 9990)

- the client can connect, but when it sends a string, nothing is
displayed
  on the server

- the server doesn't get as far as printing "Server running..."

- probably a bunch of other failure modes that I haven't thought of.

One easy thing you can try is to use '127.0.0.1' instead of 'localhost'.
Perhaps Windows 2000 doesn't define the name "localhost" for you.

But without seeing a description of the error, it's very hard to help
you.
More advice here:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

Regards,