Forum: Ruby Netbeans Ruby IDE

40b904649c56eedaff5bf1d80fa81a37?d=identicon&s=25 brewin (Guest)
on 2007-03-17 07:51
I've been intrigued by Ruby for a while and recently decided to learn
more about it. The first thing I began searching for was an IDE. From
this forum/mailing list, I found out about Netbeans' new Ruby support.
As I was researching it, I came across the Netbeans Ruby IDE.

http://deadlock.nbextras.org/hudson/job/ruby/
(Latest build is netbeans-rubyide-hudson-490.zip)

It's Netbeans without the Java. As far as I can tell, it has only been
in development for a few days. But it already shows major promise IMHO.
If you want a free Ruby-only IDE (with Rails support), this seems ideal.
It's very clean and and responsive (compared to normal Netbeans and
Eclipse) and it seems to have all the features you need and nothing you
don't.

Only issues encountered so far:
- Code completion doesn't work. (Maybe I just don't know how to enable
it?)
- A few minor cosmetic bugs.

With my very limited knowledge of Ruby, I've only done some basic
testing. I'm curious to see how it handles large projects compared to
commercial IDEs.
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:51:57PM +0900, brewin wrote:
> I've been intrigued by Ruby for a while and recently decided to learn
> more about it. The first thing I began searching for was an IDE.

Have you had a look at FreeRIDE?  I'm not much of an IDE guy myself -- I
prefer Vim, or SciTE, over an IDE in any language -- but as IDEs go
FreeRIDE seems pretty slick.  It also apparently comes with the Windows
One-Click Installer for Ruby (though I haven't tried that installer
myself, so this is second-hand information).
Chad Perrin wrote:
> myself, so this is second-hand information).

I think Curt removed FreeRide from the most recent one-click, although I
don't remember why. SciTE is still there, though.
922cd7b33ca400505f65117d239942ad?d=identicon&s=25 Matthieu Riou (Guest)
There's a pretty comprehensive comparison here:

http://tnlessone.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/ruby-rai...

Cheers,
Matthieu