Beginner learning Object in Ruby

I am new to object-oriented programming and Ruby. Although I learn some
simple programming before e.g. cobol, pascal, but I know very little in
the area of programming, especially OO concept. A few years back, I
tried to read a book on Java & OO aspect and I gave up. It is very
difficult for me to understand OO.

I tried to read the 2nd edition of “Programming Ruby” but I found that
the book only has words & codes. It is too dry for me. I wonder if
anyone can recommend me any book or guide that can explain OO in Ruby in
a more visual or graphical way.

Or is it possible for a beginner like me to ever like a language like
Ruby in the first place? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Chang T. wrote:

I tried to read the 2nd edition of “Programming Ruby” but I found that
the book only has words & codes. It is too dry for me. I wonder if
anyone can recommend me any book or guide that can explain OO in Ruby in
a more visual or graphical way.

Two good resources that helped me a lot, are Chris P.'s Learn to
Program[0], which introduces many concepts of programming, including
OOP, using Ruby, and Why’s (Poignant) Guide to Ruby[1] (with foxes!),
which uses an odd approach to the whole tutorial thing, but is readable
and quite thorough in what it covers.
I find the Pickaxe (Programming Ruby) very valuable to look things up,
rathr than learning Ruby itself.

Or is it possible for a beginner like me to ever like a language like
Ruby in the first place? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Yes, it is possible. I have only meager exposure to other languages, and
all of that is years past, too. Ruby is the only language that I can
keep interest in, and constantly learn about it. The nice thing about
Ruby is, that it stays out of your way: You write code as you need it,
and the Ruby Way of things comes quite naturally, when you learn more
and more.

And advice I have, is to take a problem, and write a solution. You can
work from there, building your program as you need it, and constantly
are encouraged to learn new things. The downside is, that you can get
lost in side tracks, and try to learn too much at a time.

Links:
[0] http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
[1] http://qa.poignantguide.net/

Wow, Thanks for the prompt reply from whoever he/she is.

I will check out the books recommended. Hopefully, the books have pdf
versions. Books that are in .chm or online version are really tiring to
the eyes.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

“Chang T.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Wow, Thanks for the prompt reply from whoever he/she is.

I will check out the books recommended. Hopefully, the books have pdf
versions. Books that are in .chm or online version are really tiring to
the eyes.

You may also try my Little Book Of Ruby which is a PDF download.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Little-Book-Of-Ruby

best wishes

Huw C.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby P.ming In Visual Studio 2005

On 17.03.2007 02:53, Chang T. wrote:

Wow, Thanks for the prompt reply from whoever he/she is.

I will check out the books recommended. Hopefully, the books have pdf
versions. Books that are in .chm or online version are really tiring to
the eyes.

I think Why’s guide does not work very well in printing because of the
layout and the hyperlinking. It’s fun nevertheless.

Have fun!

robert

PS: Maybe also some tutorial on UML helps you as this will definitively
have graphical representations of classes, objects, control flows etc.
in it.

On 3/19/07, Chang T. [email protected] wrote:

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=what+is+UML%3F

hth,
-Harold

I think Why’s guide does not work very well in printing because of the
layout and the hyperlinking. It’s fun nevertheless.

I have found the link to download the online book :-

poignantguide.net/ruby/whys-poignant-guide-to-ruby.pdf

I just started reading the “Learning to Program”. BTW, what is UML?

On Mar 18, 9:58 pm, “Harold H.” [email protected] wrote:

On 3/19/07, Chang T. [email protected] wrote:

I just started reading the “Learning to Program”. BTW, what is UML?

what is UML? - Google Search

See also: define:UML - Google Search

BTW, what is UML?

An absolutely massive modeling language for describing and designing
object
orientated programs (amongst other things), of which people tend to use
very tiny subset.

MBL