Forum: Ferret ferret on 64bit systems?

Caleb C. (Guest)
I'm still having some crashes on my server that don't seem to happen on
my development system. One difference between them is that the server is
running in 64bit mode. Are there any issues running ferret on a 64bit
system? I've seen some old traffic on the subject but all from about 9
months ago.

There are some warnings printed out when I install ferret on the server
that I don't recall seeing on my workstation. None of them seemed
terribly noxious, but I haven't really looked into what code causes
these. Anyway, here are the warnings for 0.11.3:

Building native extensions. This could take a while…
r_search.c: In function ‘frt_td_to_s’:
r_search.c:202: warning: format ’%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 3
has type ‘long int’
ferret.c: In function ‘object_add2’:
ferret.c:69: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
ferret.c:69: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
ferret.c: In function ‘object_del2’:
ferret.c:88: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
compound_io.c: In function ‘cmpdi_read_i’:
compound_io.c:135: warning: format ’%lld’ expects type ‘long long int’,
but argument 4 has type ‘off_t’

The last warning was repeated many times; I didn't save them all in the
log, sorry.
David B. (Guest)
Hi Caleb,

I'll try and work on this warnings and put out a new release. Give me
a day or two. It is quite probable that these warnings are related to
the issues you are having. Thanks for posting them.

Cheers,
Dave
Levent (Guest)
on 2007-03-29 18:38
David B. wrote:
> Hi Caleb,
>
> I'll try and work on this warnings and put out a new release. Give me
> a day or two. It is quite probable that these warnings are related to
> the issues you are having. Thanks for posting them.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Hi,

We're having similar issues and were wondering when a fix was likely?
Cheers for all the hard work.

Any news on an updated windows version too?

regards
levent
Benjamin K. (Guest)
> We're having similar issues and were wondering when a fix was likely?
> Cheers for all the hard work.

we're running ferret on two Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE
for quite some time now without any crash (Linux 2.6.19 x86_64 - no
32bit
emulation).

Do you have more information about these crashes?

Benjamin
Caleb C. (Guest)
Regarding the recent questions on using ferret on 64-bit systems:

I've found that for the most part, recent ferrets work if you know how
to trick them into relative reliability. All the problems that I've had
so far I've been able to work around by segregating the code that seems
to crash in separate process(es). If you can avoid doing too much in one
process, the crashes disappear.

This is not a stable solution; I look forward as well to bug fixes by
Dave.

I should add that at this point, most of my testing is on my 32bit
development system; tho I have seen many crashes there too. :(
David B. (Guest)
On 3/31/07, Caleb C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I should add that at this point, most of my testing is on my 32bit
> development system; tho I have seen many crashes there too. :(

Hi Caleb,

I've hopefully fixed the warnings you are getting. Please let me know
if you are still getting any warnings. Also, tell me if this helps
with the stability problems you were experiencing.

Cheers,
Dave