Forum: Ruby A little advice on writing a logWriter

C5b7e20590a007adf881f1b3060a4117?d=identicon&s=25 Alexander Jonsson (Guest)
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Ruby and not so experienced programmer in overall but i
manage to do "ok". Now I started to program a bit in Ruby and wanted
to write a logWriter program but the problem is that Ruby doesnt have
I/O Stream functions like java and C++.

I have never written a simple log writer before either, this will be
challenging. Is there any advice on how to proceed you could give a
fellow rookie ruby lover? :)

Cheers,

RubyNub
Db0cb55ad80691cc17e8760d6ca2d660?d=identicon&s=25 Vlad GALU (Guest)
On 3/15/07, Alexander Jonsson <imonmedicine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to Ruby and not so experienced programmer in overall but i
> manage to do "ok". Now I started to program a bit in Ruby and wanted
> to write a logWriter program but the problem is that Ruby doesnt have
> I/O Stream functions like java and C++.

  Instead it has a quite capable File class.

> I have never written a simple log writer before either, this will be
> challenging. Is there any advice on how to proceed you could give a
> fellow rookie ruby lover? :)

  Take a look at log4r (http://log4r.sourceforge.net). It aims to
resemble log4j/log4cpp as much as possible.
342751daf814ff3b8faa885ec94d3d2f?d=identicon&s=25 Karl Gabel (Guest)
Alexander Jonsson schrieb:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to Ruby and not so experienced programmer in overall but i
> manage to do "ok". Now I started to program a bit in Ruby and wanted
> to write a logWriter program but the problem is that Ruby doesnt have
> I/O Stream functions like java and C++.

log_fd = File.new("test_log",  "w+")
or just open an existing one

log_fd.write(str)
or
log_fd << "str"
log_fd.flush

you can also use sprintf

log_fd.write(sprintf "%d", var)

log_fd.close

have a look to
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IO.html

is this you are looking for?

regards

karl
C5b7e20590a007adf881f1b3060a4117?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Hedin (Guest)
Thanks Vlad, I will take a look at it right now.
9dec3df8319c613f6f4f14a27da0fdb4?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Schmitt (Guest)
Ooh. From personal experience log4r is rather poorly documented (in
bad moods I'd call it abysmal, but right now, I'll just say poor).  If
you have trouble, just post it here and folks who've used it will
help.

I'm trying to find the script I had that used it extensively to show
another example, but it may have gotten purged...

--Kyle
On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Kyle Schmitt wrote:

> Ooh. From personal experience log4r is rather poorly documented (in
> bad moods I'd call it abysmal, but right now, I'll just say poor).  If
> you have trouble, just post it here and folks who've used it will
> help.

You could read the standard logger library which is pretty easy to
follow.

James Edward Gray II
Alex Hedin schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> What I want do do is to make a logwriter so I can store the
> information that comes in from a given network. For example I would
> like to see what kind of data I'm receiving from that network by
> having this logwriter storing that info for me.
there is doc for the socket class, this is much easier to write the
whole stuff then in C
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/socket/rdoc/index.html

maybe this is interessting for you
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/drb/rdoc/index.html
http://www.chadfowler.com/ruby/drb.html

> I went and looked at this link: (http://log4r.sourceforge.net)
>
> But that is a completely done written logging program right? What I
> would want do to, is to write one of my own. I thought they were
> simpler than that.... CAn you give mne advice on how to proceed?

> components should be (apart from write and read methods) in my
> logwriter...

I don't know either, I am sorry. I never write a logwriter before, I
just logged some messages with the classes above (socket and DRb).

regards

karl