Forum: GNU Radio My block falling behind the USRP

815d7689c14621a2a5ed60b8bcde29b8?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Stankevitz (Guest)
What happens when a c++ block I write cannot keep up with the data the
USRP is producing?  In other words, my c++ block cannot keep up with
real time.

Is there a way to tell (in c++) that I am falling behind?

Thank you!

Chris
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:36:19PM -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> What happens when a c++ block I write cannot keep up with the data the
> USRP is producing?  In other words, my c++ block cannot keep up with
> real time.

The USRP library will report that the USRP is dropping samples.
If you're not keeping up, it's got no place to put them.

> Is there a way to tell (in c++) that I am falling behind?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Chris

You'll see uOuOuO... on stderr

Also,

 u = usrp.source_c(...)
 nover = u.noverruns()

returns the number of overruns detected.  Note that behind the scenes
the library polls for overruns at about 10Hz, so if you're seeing any,
you're probably getting a lot of them ;)

Eric