Forum: Ruby Watir without a web page?

D1309ef77561e3cdf0ddcab60b244e52?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Stephens (aspirer)
on 2007-03-14 09:05
I'm on a filtered connection here which won't let me download Watir so I
can't try this for myself until I go home at the weekend.

What I'm thinking is maybe you can use Watir/Internet Explorer as a GUI
for Ruby. Instead of reading a web page, you simply create screens, text
boxes etc via the Document Object Model. This is predicated on two
things. The first is Watir's connection can manipulate all parts of the
DOM and secondly that IE allows you not just to read web pages but also
create them (as IE objects not real files) and build text boxes etc. Can
you see a flaw in this yet?
4371f8fa1c3574e74d8f88c77d23e7d7?d=identicon&s=25 Harry Ha (harry)
On 3/14/07, Mike Stephens <rubfor@recitel.net> wrote:

> What I'm thinking is maybe you can use Watir/Internet Explorer as a GUI
> for Ruby. Instead of reading a web page, you simply create screens, text
> boxes etc

Is this similar to your idea?
It's interesting.

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubywebdialogs/index.html