From: Paul van Delst <Paul.vanDelst@noaa.gov>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Friday, March 9, 2007 6:40:05 PM
Subject: Re: "Goto line" function?

Helgitomas Gislason wrote:
> 6.  puts ' '
> 17.     (the program continues)
> 18.
> 19. BUT if answer == 'no'
> 20.       goto.line.7 (And skip the rules, just restart it and begin
> from line 7.)
>
> What is the command? I know it's not "goto.line.X" but what is it? "back
> to line.X"? "goto.lineX"? What is the command?

Addressing just the loop/goto issue, how about summat like:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
done=false
until done
   puts ' '
   puts ' '
   puts '****************************'
   puts '** (Rules of the program) **'
   puts '****************************'
   puts ' '
   puts 'Ohh, hello there! What are you named many names?'
   names = gets.chomp
   if names == '2'
     puts ' '
     puts 'Are you named two names?'
     puts ' '
     answer = gets.chomp
     done = true if answer == 'yes'
#This is where "the program continues"
puts 'the end'

This gives me the output:

lnx:scratch : blah.rb

****************************
** (Rules of the program) **
****************************

Ohh, hello there! What are you named many names?
2

Are you named two names?

no

****************************
** (Rules of the program) **
****************************

Ohh, hello there! What are you named many names?
2

Are you named two names?

yes
the end