Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] SiteMeter v.1.0 Web Stats plugin

Ed2af9abb16c6d3c9f5d07cd8f2c8ffd?d=identicon&s=25 Thiago Jackiw (Guest)
on 2007-03-08 21:30
This plugin lets you track visitors, referrers, robots, search terms and
more. And all the data processing is done when viewing the stats and not
when saving the data, so it shouldn't influence on your site's
performance.

It's very easy using it:

To track the visitors on your entire application, just edit your
ApplicationController (application.rb):

    include SiteMeter
    before_filter :use_site_meter
  end

Or to track specific controllers:

    include SiteMeter
  end

  class MyController < ApplicationController
    before_filter :use_site_meter
  end

And to view your stats just add "/sitemeter" to your main url:

  http://www.example.com/sitemeter

Feedbacks, bug reports, etc are always welcome :-)

For more info => http://sitemeter.rubyforge.org

--
Thiago Jackiw
acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.rubyforge.org/

Great work!

-- Mark

Thiago Jackiw wrote:
> This plugin lets you track visitors, referrers, robots, search terms and
> more. And all the data processing is done when viewing the stats and not
> when saving the data, so it shouldn't influence on your site's
> performance.
>
> It's very easy using it:
>
> To track the visitors on your entire application, just edit your
> ApplicationController (application.rb):
>
>   class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base
>     include SiteMeter
>     before_filter :use_site_meter
>   end
>
> Or to track specific controllers:
>
>   class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base
>     include SiteMeter
>   end
>
>   class MyController < ApplicationController
>     before_filter :use_site_meter
>   end
>
> And to view your stats just add "/sitemeter" to your main url:
>
>   http://www.example.com/sitemeter
>

> Feedbacks, bug reports, etc are always welcome :-)
>
> For more info => http://sitemeter.rubyforge.org
>
> --
> Thiago Jackiw
> acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.rubyforge.org/
> SiteMeter => http://sitemeter.rubyforge.org
E3640176765dae2465d33ef6eb114691?d=identicon&s=25 bcparanj@gmail.com (Guest)
This is a very cool plugin. I was thinking about developing the same
plugin. It would be nice to have the following features:

1) Calculate the conversion ratio (either how many users signup or buy
product).
2) Show the entry and exit pages.
3) Navigation path of the users.
4) How much time users spend on reading the sales letter.
5) Traffic tracking to find the busiest day and time for the site.

I would be willing to work on these features and incorporate this into
the existing plugin. I know Google analytics provide some stats but it
is not a good idea to give such private information to Google.
Obviously they use that data to maximize their profits by charging
websites more for the Ads.
C728d93eb5205cf20cac0c2928b0ad62?d=identicon&s=25 RJ (Guest)
on 2007-03-09 11:46
Is there a demo page up somewhere? Maybe an example sitemeter output
page?
997433f165140d58f52b8c0d1d005dc1?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Aljord (Guest)
http://www.bacotp.com/sitemeter

but you might want to pay a visit to the site first
http://www.bacotp.com/ cause it hasn't reach the 5 visitors queue as
of yet :)
Bce1d1b7c3ec7b577dcb42e254899e6b?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Schuerig (Guest)
On Friday 09 March 2007, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> http://www.bacotp.com/sitemeter

Um, Patrick, the markup is pretty much broken.

In the top-level page, the first thing is a style element. Only after
that comes the doctype. The opening <html> tag is missing.

The individual frames begin with style elements. There are no doctypes,
no html, head, or body elements, just further HTML markup.

The encoding is not correctly specified for the contents, apparently it
ought to be UTF-8.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
997433f165140d58f52b8c0d1d005dc1?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Aljord (Guest)

> On Friday 09 March 2007, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> > http://www.bacotp.com/sitemeter
>
> Um, Patrick, the markup is pretty much broken.

Um, Michael this is not my plugin, this is Thiago's :-)
On Saturday 10 March 2007, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> On 3/9/07, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > On Friday 09 March 2007, Patrick Aljord wrote:
> > > http://www.bacotp.com/sitemeter
> >
> > Um, Patrick, the markup is pretty much broken.
>
> Um, Michael this is not my plugin, this is Thiago's :-)

Yes, I noticed it, but only after replying. Still, the markup is a mess.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/
7242b014da2929bbda3b0bf1dfd9c52a?d=identicon&s=25 Aurélien Malisart (Guest)
Nice plugin!
20b1836f8acccd107b4992a1a45a14bd?d=identicon&s=25 chrisfarms (Guest)
Looks like a really good kickstart to a "just what you want" stats add-
on,

thanks for releasing ... sure I'll find a use for this soon
Ed2af9abb16c6d3c9f5d07cd8f2c8ffd?d=identicon&s=25 tjackiw@gmail.com (Guest)
Thanks for all the feedbacks. Michael, the markup issue you pointed
out will be fixed soon.

Thanks.

--
Thiago Jackiw
acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.rubyforge.org/
SiteMeter => http://sitemeter.rubyforge.org
E3640176765dae2465d33ef6eb114691?d=identicon&s=25 bcparanj@gmail.com (Guest)
Thiago, I documented the features because I had to remove the same
functionality in my app. Here it is:

1) Summary
 Display graphs to show monthly and daily hits. Tabular display of
month, hits,
percentage and unique visits for monthly hits. Tabular display of day,
hits,
percentage and unique visits for daily hits.

2) Hourly Statistics for a chosen period (month/year). Tabular display
of
hour, hits and percentage with the last column showing a bar graph.

3) Referrer Statistics
 Page URLs Top 30 - Tabular display of Hits, Page URL and Percentage
 Referrers - Top 30 - Tabular display of Hits, Referrer and
Percentage.

4) Search Statistics
  Robots/Crawlers, Top Domains - Tabular display of hits and domain,
Search Strings - Top 30

5) Visitor Info
Hosts - Tabular display of Hits, Hostname (IP Address), Percentage.
Operating Systems - Tabular display of Hits, Operating System,
Percentage
Browsers - Tabular display of Hits, Browser, Version, Percentage
Languages - Top 15 - Tabular display of hits, language and percentage.

Please include it in either README file or on the home page. This will
help developers to see whether they need to write code for additional
functionality.