Forum: GNU Radio PS3 success with audio

E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert McGwier (Guest)
I literally have absolutely no idea what I have done, BUT,  snd_ps3....
     is now found by PS3 running Yellow Dog Linux.  At some time in the
past two weeks while I was running around,  I did an update (after Terra
finally got my password fixed) and the sound system is found. I compiled
and installed PortAudio and pa_devs finds the device and all of the test
programs that are using only output work perfectly.

When you run "top" on this machine,  you will see two threads.  Do NOT
do make -j3 or -j2.  Swig output has been compiling for AN HOUR and has
not finished.  ;-).

For those running YDL,  I am sure you have discovered that you have
about 8k of free space in RAM when running Enlightenment.  Gnome is even
worse (2k).

In /etc/inittab  where you find

id:5:initdefault

change the 5 to a 3 and reboot to get rid of the X login.  If you need X
things,  ssh in from a remote terminal.

Now you will find that about 50% of RAM is free when the machine is
sitting idle.  The drop in swapping has a major impact on the PS3.

I am hoping (like Tom) to report some success with the PS3 on Sunday.  I
have a full plate with Frank Brickle and Flex until Sunday afternoon.

Bob

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert McGwier (Guest)
ADDENDUM AND NOTE FOR ALL!!

make check works partially on YDL where it would not even start on FC5.

The RS Codec tests pass,  the vmcircbuf tests pass and then a string of
failures end make check (all with segment violations).  This probably
gives a clue.

pa_devs identifies

SPDIF: PS3PF

as hw:0,0

just as "Sound Device" detection on YDL's graphical interface but none
of the python audio files will process hw:0, plughw:0, hw:0,0, etc. as
being a valid "file name".

Progress is being made and YDL seems to have found a few devices.
Thanks to Frank Brickle,  I have a Buffalo Wireless G125 WAP which can
be reprogrammed since it runs Linux to be a transparent wireless
ethernet connected interface.  You plug it into the ethernet jack and
give it the Wireless parameters for your office and voila, wireless
internet connectivity.  I think it uses one of the Broadcom parts.

Off to the office and more later.

Bob

Robert McGwier wrote:

> change the 5 to a 3 and reboot to get rid of the X login.  If you need X

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine
8cc60441dc67b4e59421ebe95dc63c23?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Rondeau (Guest)

Bob, are you using gr-audio-portaudio? I've installed portaudio from yum
on
FC6, but it's only on version 18 while the GR configure script is trying
find version 19. On top of that, when I installed version 19, there is
no
portaudio.pc file for pkg-config to look at.

I'm sure this is all due to ignorance on my part with using portaudio
devices.

Thanks,
Tom
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:55:05AM -0500, Tom Rondeau wrote:
> Bob, are you using gr-audio-portaudio? I've installed portaudio from yum on
> FC6, but it's only on version 18 while the GR configure script is trying to
> find version 19. On top of that, when I installed version 19, there is no
> portaudio.pc file for pkg-config to look at.
>
> I'm sure this is all due to ignorance on my part with using portaudio
> devices.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Tom, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure he's using ALSA.

Eric
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Robert McGwier (Guest)
We definitely have work to do.  Portaudio is the ONLY thing I can get to
work the PS3 sound system but not in gnuradio.

The pieces in the bin directory for testing portaudio that open the sink
only work.  I can produce tones,  hundreds of tones,  do latency tests,
etc.

gr-audio-XXX fails in all cases, including gr-audio-portaudio.

I do not believe this is a python issue but I am unsure.  The error
message is a bit strange.

If you download the svn for portaudio, and do configure; make; sudo make
install,  it puts the portaudio-2.0.pc in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
unless you specify another prefix.  Portaudio is working on the ps3 and
the files in bin that begin patest_(produce a sinusoid of some type)
make tones and work.

Bob

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:15:47PM -0500, Robert McGwier wrote:

> If you download the svn for portaudio, and do configure; make; sudo make
> install,  it puts the portaudio-2.0.pc in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> unless you specify another prefix.  Portaudio is working on the ps3 and
> the files in bin that begin patest_(produce a sinusoid of some type)
> make tones and work.
>
> Bob

Given that the Python stuff is still broken on PS3, I'm not surprised
than gr-audio-* doesn't work.

Eric
Eric Blossom wrote:
>> message is a bit strange.
> than gr-audio-* doesn't work.
Just let me say that I am not certain this is a python error but until
make check works,  I cannot easily rule it out.  Portaudio definitely
works on the PS3 so we will have audio when we get stuff rolling.

> Eric

Thanks,