Forum: Ruby post_form

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-08 08:13
Dear all,

I'm a newbie and have been looking for a solution regarding the
following issue:
I'm trying to get the results from the page
http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp and looking at the source of the
page I have the following information:

<form method="post" name="def" action="daftarbi.asp">
.
.
.
<INPUT name="txtIC" maxlength="12"><Input type=hidden name="txtSub">
.
.
</form>
There is no query string such as ...asp?id=blabla&something=blabla, so I
need to simply pass the value I wish to post such as "0000059" into that
hidden field and get the results?
Is this possible? I have tried a simple code and it didn't work:

require 'net/http'
require 'uri'
res = Net::HTTP.post_form
URI.parse('http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp'),{"txtSub"... =>
"0000059"}
case res
when Net::HTTPSuccess, Net::HTTPRedirection
  puts res.body
else
  res.error!
end

Kindly correct me If I'm wrong

Appreciate any help

regards
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-08 08:25
What didn't work is that it's not displaying the results based on the
query as if it didn't submit the id for the hidden field in the input
form!
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-08 22:45
Coosa Aa wrote:
> What didn't work is that it's not displaying the results based on the
> query as if it didn't submit the id for the hidden field in the input
> form!

It's not displaying the results; there is a button in the page and when
clicked, a JavaScript function "submitted()" is called. Now the response
is OK, but I get no results as expected; I appreciate you try going to
the link I provided.
Simply I don't know how to call the Javascript function within my Ruby
code.

regards
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-08 22:48
Coosa Aa wrote:
> Coosa Aa wrote:
>> What didn't work is that it's not displaying the results based on the
>> query as if it didn't submit the id for the hidden field in the input
>> form!
>
> It's not displaying the results; there is a button in the page and when
> clicked, a JavaScript function "submitted()" is called. Now the response
> is OK, but I get no results as expected; I appreciate you try going to
> the link I provided.
> Simply I don't know how to call the Javascript function within my Ruby
> code.
>
> regards

Inside the form (Though it would be helpful):
<INPUT name="txtIC" maxlength="12"><Input type=hidden name="txtSub">
<INPUT type="button" name="Check" value="Check" onclick="submitted()">

I called once in my Ruby Code:
URI.parse('http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp'),{"txtSub"... =>
"0000059"}
and once:
URI.parse('http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp'),{"txtIC"... =>
"0000059"}
but it never showed the results either way.
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (austin)
on 2007-03-08 22:49
(Received via mailing list)
On 3/8/07, Coosa Aa <coosa76@gmail.com> wrote:
> Coosa Aa wrote:
> > What didn't work is that it's not displaying the results based on the
> > query as if it didn't submit the id for the hidden field in the input
> > form!
> It's not displaying the results; there is a button in the page and when
> clicked, a JavaScript function "submitted()" is called. Now the response
> is OK, but I get no results as expected; I appreciate you try going to
> the link I provided.
> Simply I don't know how to call the Javascript function within my Ruby
> code.

You probably want to ask this on the Rails forum. This is the general
Ruby mailing list, mirrored to ruby-forum.com.

-austin
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (austin)
on 2007-03-08 22:52
(Received via mailing list)
On 3/8/07, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> You probably want to ask this on the Rails forum. This is the general
> Ruby mailing list, mirrored to ruby-forum.com.

I was wrong. This is the right place; I just don't know the answer and
I shouldn't post when I'm too busy to read in detail. Sorry, Coosa.

-austin
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-08 22:53
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Coosa Aa <coosa76@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Coosa Aa wrote:
>> > What didn't work is that it's not displaying the results based on the
>> > query as if it didn't submit the id for the hidden field in the input
>> > form!
>> It's not displaying the results; there is a button in the page and when
>> clicked, a JavaScript function "submitted()" is called. Now the response
>> is OK, but I get no results as expected; I appreciate you try going to
>> the link I provided.
>> Simply I don't know how to call the Javascript function within my Ruby
>> code.
>
> You probably want to ask this on the Rails forum. This is the general
> Ruby mailing list, mirrored to ruby-forum.com.
>
> -austin

I'm not using Rails at all,
The Net::HTTP.post_form is a core Ruby library and i'm just using a
simple Ruby code in a *.rb file
93d566cc26b230c553c197c4cd8ac6e4?d=identicon&s=25 Pit Capitain (Guest)
on 2007-03-09 09:37
(Received via mailing list)
Coosa Aa schrieb:
>> (...) I appreciate you try going to the link I provided.

The page says "ELECTION COMISSION OF MALAYSIA, ELECTORS ROLL CHECKING".
Can you tell me what this page is about and what you are trying to do?

Regards,
Pit
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-10 01:20
Pit Capitain wrote:
> Coosa Aa schrieb:
>>> (...) I appreciate you try going to the link I provided.
>
> The page says "ELECTION COMISSION OF MALAYSIA, ELECTORS ROLL CHECKING".
> Can you tell me what this page is about and what you are trying to do?
>
> Regards,
> Pit
The problem is solved by modifing the line into:
URI.parse('http://daftarj.spr.gov.my/daftarbi.asp'),{"txtIC"... =>
"0000059", "txtSub" => "Submitted"}
The JavaScript function already cleared but I overlooked it!
But for your comment, watch what you write and don't judge and forget
that the page is publically accessible; so I don't post here to get such
comments and I that question of yours doesn't deserve a response!

Regards
93d566cc26b230c553c197c4cd8ac6e4?d=identicon&s=25 Pit Capitain (Guest)
on 2007-03-10 20:28
(Received via mailing list)
Coosa Aa schrieb:
> Pit Capitain wrote:
>> The page says "ELECTION COMISSION OF MALAYSIA, ELECTORS ROLL CHECKING".
>> Can you tell me what this page is about and what you are trying to do?
>>
> But for your comment, watch what you write and don't judge and forget
> that the page is publically accessible; so I don't post here to get such
> comments and I that question of yours doesn't deserve a response!

Hi Coosa Aa. Yes, it's a public site. But when I entered the data you've
mentioned, the response looked like personal data to me. Since I don't
know the language spoken in Malaysia, I wasn't sure about that. That's
why I asked you my question. Now, interpreting your answer, I think I
was right that it's possible to get at personal data by entering the
right numbers. If this is not what you're after, I apologize. It seems
you found at least one part of the answer to your question, so I guess I
don't have to show you my solution.

Regards,
Pit
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-11 03:17
Pit Capitain wrote:
> Coosa Aa schrieb:
>> Pit Capitain wrote:
>>> The page says "ELECTION COMISSION OF MALAYSIA, ELECTORS ROLL CHECKING".
>>> Can you tell me what this page is about and what you are trying to do?
>>>
>> But for your comment, watch what you write and don't judge and forget
>> that the page is publically accessible; so I don't post here to get such
>> comments and I that question of yours doesn't deserve a response!
>
> Hi Coosa Aa. Yes, it's a public site. But when I entered the data you've
> mentioned, the response looked like personal data to me. Since I don't
> know the language spoken in Malaysia, I wasn't sure about that. That's
> why I asked you my question. Now, interpreting your answer, I think I
> was right that it's possible to get at personal data by entering the
> right numbers. If this is not what you're after, I apologize. It seems
> you found at least one part of the answer to your question, so I guess I
> don't have to show you my solution.
>
> Regards,
> Pit

Such childish plays; we're here in a professional forum, so be one. I
even mentioned that I solved it, so don't even try to impress by
mentioning that you have an answer; I don't need it, I have it -
"txtSub" => "Submitted".
B4dfdc512de38017e7d866a3cefe8f42?d=identicon&s=25 Coosa Aa (coosa)
on 2007-03-11 06:22
Coosa Aa wrote:
> Pit Capitain wrote:
>> Coosa Aa schrieb:
>>> Pit Capitain wrote:
>>>> The page says "ELECTION COMISSION OF MALAYSIA, ELECTORS ROLL CHECKING".
>>>> Can you tell me what this page is about and what you are trying to do?
>>>>
>>> But for your comment, watch what you write and don't judge and forget
>>> that the page is publically accessible; so I don't post here to get such
>>> comments and I that question of yours doesn't deserve a response!
>>
>> Hi Coosa Aa. Yes, it's a public site. But when I entered the data you've
>> mentioned, the response looked like personal data to me. Since I don't
>> know the language spoken in Malaysia, I wasn't sure about that. That's
>> why I asked you my question. Now, interpreting your answer, I think I
>> was right that it's possible to get at personal data by entering the
>> right numbers. If this is not what you're after, I apologize. It seems
>> you found at least one part of the answer to your question, so I guess I
>> don't have to show you my solution.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pit
>
> Such childish plays; we're here in a professional forum, so be one. I
> even mentioned that I solved it, so don't even try to impress by
> mentioning that you have an answer; I don't need it, I have it -
> "txtSub" => "Submitted".

[Solved] A kind request for the admins to close the post.
Clearance: the question relates to a part of my "Final Year Project" in
the Multimedia University http://www.mmu.edu.my of the Faculty of IT, to
create an online e-voting system in Malaysia; silly childish questions
attempting to lecture me about morals are useless; any naive person
would obviously see that the page I provided has a "gov" domain and It's
annoying assuming I don't know that! If I'm stupid enough to attempt to
do some thing wrong, I would have obviously written a sample of a normal
page which uses the same pattern; It's the first time in a forum I see
such annoying people like "Pit".
No more replies to this post would be posted from my side.

Regards
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.