Forum: Ruby commandline gem

i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
commandline
applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too?  i only found a
dead
project on rubyforge...

thanks.

-a
ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
> commandline
> applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too?  i only found a
> dead
> project on rubyforge...
>
> thanks.
>
> -a

This seems to have a downloadable gem:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/

I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.
90a73d9875462aaa9fab2feffafbffe7?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Bleything (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
> commandline applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i
> only found a dead project on rubyforge...

You're not thinking of highline, are you?

http://highline.rubyforge.org/

I also know that I mentioned recently that I was working on one, but
it's not released yet, sadly.

Ben
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

>> -a
>
> This seems to have a downloadable gem:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/
>
> I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
> commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
> commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.

thanks a bunch joel - that's great!

so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us?  ;-)

-a
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Ben Bleything wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
>> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
>> commandline applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i
>> only found a dead project on rubyforge...
>
> You're not thinking of highline, are you?
>
> http://highline.rubyforge.org/

nope, but thanks for reminding me of that! perfect for this talk...

> I also know that I mentioned recently that I was working on one, but it's
> not released yet, sadly.

heh.  i've got one too.  sigh.

-a
ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
>>> thanks.
>
> thanks a bunch joel - that's great!
>
> so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us?  ;-)

Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
same problem?).

Do you have plans to do a comparison and post the results?
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

>> so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us?  ;-)
>
> Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
> same problem?).

no.  but commandline looks very nice.  it didn't exist when i wrote mine
(part
of alib) or i would have used it.

> Do you have plans to do a comparison and post the results?

i'm doing a small one for a class as we speak.  perhaps it'll motivate
me to
doccument mine!

cheers.

-a
B74f9ac58c7a0b80d877470198e1a472?d=identicon&s=25 gga (Guest)
On 6 mar, 02:12, Joel VanderWerf <v...@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> >> commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.
>
> > thanks a bunch joel - that's great!
>
> > so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us?  ;-)
>
> Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
> same problem?).

They don't.  Highline is something unique.  It allows the easy
creation of command-line applications that ask you questions on a
local machine, like Eliza.

Commandline, on the other hand, is mainly a replacement/alternative to
getopt or optparse.  For that, there's also my port of Perl's
Getopt::Declare: http://getoptdeclare.rubyforge.org/  -- Declare.rdoc
for documentation.
8ecb8bb62c3283f8069a54056c7dc25f?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Freeze (Guest)
CommandLine is alive and well.
I have even seen where someone combined it with Highline
to have a batch driven and an interactive CUI.

gem install -r commandline -y

should get you commandline (0.7.10).
B317fc29d33ca8d961ca846f8183184d?d=identicon&s=25 Jan Friedrich (Guest)
ara.t.howard@noaa.gov schrieb:
> quickly building commandline applications
http://trollop.rubyforge.org/

I like it. :D

regards
Jan