Forum: Ferret Lucene index compatibility

6e6d001fc4ae29fd7722213621a93d0b?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Stelmach (Guest)
on 2007-03-05 22:29
I would like to generate a Lucene index in Java (of plain text values
only,) and be able to use that index in ferret.  I've seen many mixed
answers to this question, so I'm hoping some of you can help.

Thanks!
B5e329ffa0cc78efbfc7ae2d084c149f?d=identicon&s=25 David Balmain (Guest)
On 3/6/07, Joe Stelmach <joestelmach@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to generate a Lucene index in Java (of plain text values
> only,) and be able to use that index in ferret.  I've seen many mixed
> answers to this question, so I'm hoping some of you can help.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Joe,

Firstly, why do you want to generate the index with Java. I just want
to make sure that performance isn't the reason, because you'll
probably get better performance with Ferret.

If there is another reason you want to use Java to build the index
then unfortunately there is no way to read the index with Ferret.
Ferret now uses a very different index file format. But all is not
lost. Look at solr-ruby. This will allow you to use your Lucene
indexes from Ruby.

Cheers,
Dave
6e6d001fc4ae29fd7722213621a93d0b?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Stelmach (Guest)
on 2007-03-06 06:32
Thanks for the fast reply Dave.

I'm working on a system that does some back-end processing in Java, but
uses Rails on the front end.  I'd really like to ditch Java completely,
but the Threading support in Ruby is very limiting (at least as far as I
understand it,) so I'm stuck trying to glue the pieces together.

Thanks for the solr tip - I'll see if that can help me...
4d6a47158a7c8a032e5f6a4da8976d7d?d=identicon&s=25 Erik Hatcher (Guest)
solr-ruby is a library to connect, of course, Solr to Ruby.  So you
won't be ditching Java to go to Solr, but rather running the Solr
Java-based web application via a Java web container (Jetty, Tomcat,
Resin, or other).

Solr is incredibly scalable and fast.  And handles any number of
connections at a time for both reading and writing.

  Erik