Forum: Ruby How can I make an FXRuby window stay open for a set amount o

B17d29d56cd9d4ccd91056eff4a355e3?d=identicon&s=25 Paul (Guest)
I wrote a simple FXRuby program that displays a message in a window on
the desktop.  I would like to make this window go away after a set
amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes if left alone).

I'm new to scripting in Ruby, so I don't know how to do this.  Can
anyone offer me any suggestions or pointers as to how I can implement
a configurable timer that will automatically shut down the window when
the time is up?

My program is similar to one of the 'hello' examples on the FXRuby
examples page:
http://www.fxruby.org/doc/examples.html

I've browsed through the Programming Ruby book but I didn't see any
default classes or methods that would help me do this.
0276239ca57aee241d4b41379587fa20?d=identicon&s=25 Lyle Johnson (Guest)
On 3/5/07, Paul <tester.paul@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote a simple FXRuby program that displays a message in a window on
> the desktop.  I would like to make this window go away after a set
> amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes if left alone).
>
> I'm new to scripting in Ruby, so I don't know how to do this.  Can
> anyone offer me any suggestions or pointers as to how I can implement
> a configurable timer that will automatically shut down the window when
> the time is up?

Look at the documentation for the addTimeout() method:

    http://www.fxruby.org/doc/api/classes/Fox/FXApp.html

Hope this helps,

Lyle

P.S. Please consider subscribing to the fxruby-users mailing list, and
posting FXRuby-related questions there instead of on ruby-talk. For