Trouble requiring a gem

I have a gem that I created myself, which works swimmingly in a normal
.rb script. The gem is called ‘vandelay’ and I can run a test script
like this with no error:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘vandelay’

Vandelay::VandelayBase.establish_connection(…)

p Vandelay::Product.find(1234).name

But I run in to major trouble if I try to use this gem in a rails
application. For example, I have this test controller:

class MyTest < ApplicationController
def test
render_text Vandelay::Product.find_by_allegroId(176500).name
end
end

I also put this at the bottom of my environment.rb:

require ‘vandelay’
Vandelay::VandelayBase.establish_connection(…)

If I fire up WEBRick and hit the action once, it shows the proper
result. But the second and subsequent times, I get an error instead:

uninitialized constant Product

(A complete stack trace is at the end of this posting).

I can’t figure out why this works only on the first hit, but I can
restart the server and it works again just once every time.

I am able to use other Gems without trouble (I use ferret for example).
Do I have something wrong with my gem, perhaps?

Ruby 1.8.4, rails 1.1.6, Mac OS X 10.4.7.

Thanks,

Geoff

Stack Trace:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:123:in
const_missing' app/controllers/index_controller.rb:6:intest’

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:123:in
const_missing' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:941:inperform_action_without_filters’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:368:in
perform_action_without_benchmark' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:inperform_action_without_rescue’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in measure' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:inperform_action_without_rescue’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:82:in
perform_action' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:408:inprocess_without_filters’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:377:in
process_without_session_management_support' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:117:inprocess’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in
dispatch' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:115:inhandle_dispatch’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:81:in
service' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:inservice’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in run' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:instart_thread’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in start_thread' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:instart’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:instart’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:67:indispatch’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:inrequire’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/server.rb:30
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:inrequire’
script/server:3

const_missing' app/controllers/index_controller.rb:6:intest’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:941:in
perform_action_without_filters' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:368:inperform_action_without_benchmark’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:inmeasure’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in
perform_action_without_rescue' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:82:inperform_action’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:408:in
process_without_filters' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:377:inprocess_without_session_management_support’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:117:in
process' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:indispatch’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:115:in
handle_dispatch' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:81:inservice’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in service' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:inrun’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in start_thread' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:instart_thread’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:instart’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:instart’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:67:in
dispatch' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:inrequire’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in
require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/server.rb:30 /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:inrequire’
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in
`require’
script/server:3

Geoff C. wrote:

I have revisited the problem after being away from it for a while. The
problem persists, but I have more information:

1: I’m using Ruby 1.8.4 and Rails 1.1.6 on Mac OS X

2: The Vandelay::Product object is an AR model class

3: The problem only happens in development. If I switch to production it
goes away.

I found this potentially related bug report:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/2819

It looks to me like this bug was fixed, but I’m not sure how to tell if
the fix is actually in the current release or not. Should I be looking
to update to a non-stable release?

To recap my prior post, when I use my gem in a very simple action, it
works on the first page load, but fails every time therafter with an
‘uninitialized constant’ error.

Thanks,

Geof

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs