I’m currently making a (rails) web application that allows the user to
upload files. The files should be processed by a script on a remote
machine, and the resulting file should be returned to the web
application. I’m new to rails and not familiar with the possibilities.
Are there any thoughs out there on how to do this?
I have come up with the following solution, but it’s a bit fragile and
complex so I would like to use something more stable and secure.
- Store the uploaded file in the web applicationi
- Create a new e-mail and attach the file. Send it to the remote
- Use OS X and Mails applescript support to get the mail attachment,
and start the script.
- Use applescript to upload the result to an FTP-server.
- Let the web-application list the file from FTP.
Maybe some sort of server on the remote machine to handle incoming
requests and files from the web-application…