Reinforcements, please?

What exactly is the difference [as far as we’re talking here] between a
static and a dynamic site. I’d think a CMS-ed kind of site is dynamic
since
it’s responsive to change but I can also see it being static by some
definitions.

Also, @Phlip, why is using Rails as a content manager trivial?

RSL

On 2/7/07, Phlip [email protected] wrote:

And if you need a static site, you use Rails, rather trivially, as a

On Feb 9, 10:45 am, “Phlip” [email protected] wrote:

talking it - yet I had the impression it grew out of a Perl customized
Phlip
From my memory, PHP was originally the “Personal Home Page” engine for
the original developer, basically to show off his skills to potential
employers. It grew organically and started including all sorts of
third party libraries, and was the defacto standard competing with
Cold Fusion for a long time (still probably is).

Given its history, it is not surprising that many of the best practice
techniques in (web) development are not present or baked into the
application (I don;t really like calling it a framework). Rails
however was designed from the start around MVC, OOP, classes,
inheritance, testing, etc. It leverages the friendly “optimised for
happiness” environment that Ruby provides. The more I learn Rails,
the more I realise I am learning Ruby and it’s tricks.

Coming from a PHP background I appreciate Ruby and Rails a whole lot
more. It does provide a lot of magic if you follow the conventions
(learning exactly what they are is the hard bit at the moment).

You may be better off in the long run if you do some PHP for a while,
but keep tinkering with Rails in the background. Show you can do it
in PHP, but then how it can be done in Rails. There is nothing more
demoralizing than seeing someone implement what you have been doing in
PHP for the past week do it in 1 day in Rails in fewer, more readable
LOC and better flexibility.

Phlip wrote:

I know almost nothing about PHP - that won’t stop me from trash-
talking it
Of course it won’t. You are a Ruby disciple. You are therefore gifted
with a faith based belief that Ruby is better than all possible
alternatives, in all possible situations. Don’t worry, I don’t hold it
against you personally. It is a very common conviction.

yet I had the impression it grew out of a Perl customized
for Webby things. So its language was created explicitly to satisfy a
framework.
I am not sure from that comment that you know what a framework is, but
it is a reasonable summary of PHP’s initial conception. It was created
explicitly to solve a particular class of problems. Frameworks came to
it much later. And widespread use as a general purpose language, rather
than as a specifically web based language came much later.

On Feb 8, 11:15 am, Phlip [email protected] wrote:

However, yes, Rails programmers do tend to look down on all other web
development. And if you had seen the market share for ASP.NET, you
should wonder why MS won’t just give up…


Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!

That’s pretty funny, I haven’t even begun to develop in Rails
(however, I did successfully get Apache up and running on my Gentoo
box, successfully got Rails installed, and was able to navigate to
locahost at the proper port and see something.) I have a site that my
s/o and I have wanted to get up that’s a type of content site, and
since it’s not an urgent thing, I’m going to utilize RoR to build
it… So, I’m excited and focused…

…but, I digress: It’s rather amusing that you say that, because I
think (and I have no reason why) that RoR is better. Well, maybe not
better… hmm… I don’t know, all I can say is I’ve played around
with PHP, I’ve played around with Ruby, and the only one that’s held
my fickle woman’s interest, is Ruby. Maybe it’s because Ruby is a
pretty gem. :stuck_out_tongue: I have no clue. All I know is that I like it. :slight_smile:

Samantha

Wombat wrote:

Of course it won’t. You are a Ruby disciple. You are therefore gifted
with a faith based belief that Ruby is better than…

I am not sure from that comment that you know what a framework is…

One important skill in software engineering, worth learning, is debating
technical topics politely. Sometimes this requires announcing the limits
of
ones own knowledge, and sometimes it requires exercising a little more
maturity than name-calling.


Phlip
http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs