RE: NOOB: Second post, please help

Thanks! This works much better. I didn’t realize link_to had a
:controller property.

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeff Everett
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Rails] NOOB: Second post, please help…

Marcus,

When I try your facilities link_to I get a link like:

http://localhost:3000/facilities/../facilities/list?post=true

Which does result in @facilities being nil for me.

You might try rewriting the link as

<%= link_to ‘Return to facilities’, { :controller => ‘facilities’,
:action => ‘list’ }, :post => true %>

The bit that makes the link url itself in the middle should be enclosed
in {} so that rails knows where the hash begins and ends. :post is an
option, not part of the link hash.

HTH

Jeff

On 5/18/06, Marcus B. [email protected] wrote:

Here is my code example:
Fyi - in this example "facility" is the parent table to the

“permits”
table.

Page A (facility) links to page B (permits) using this code, and

it
works fine.
<%= link_to ‘Permits’, { :action => ‘…\permits\list’,
:facilityid =>
facility}, :post => true %>

Page B (permits) then links back to page A(facility), but this

does not
work.
<%= link_to ‘Return to facilities’, :action =>
‘…/facilities/list’,
:post => true %>

The error I get when going from page B -> A, is in this code in

the
facility/list.rhtml:

        <% for facility in @facilities %>

The message is that @facilities is nil.  "@facilities" gets

initialized
by the controller’s ‘list’ property.

Any thoughts?  Should the controller run each time the page is

accessed?
Is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks,
Marcus