  • James M.

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Adam D.
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:36 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Rails] Re: Mongrel / RoR first page load times.

here is a copy of the /proc/meminfo. There are a couple of java apps
running that could be using a decent amount of mem that could be
accounting
for the intial swapping. That data i sent in my previous email was
after
the app had no requests for quite a few hours but the mongrels have been
up
for a few days.

    total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:

Mem: 1047658496 979578880 68079616 0 39374848 610492416
Swap: 2097434624 845279232 1252155392
MemTotal: 1023104 kB
MemFree: 66484 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 38452 kB
Cached: 272152 kB
SwapCached: 324032 kB
Active: 574344 kB
Inact_dirty: 207740 kB
Inact_clean: 77208 kB
Inact_target: 171856 kB
HighTotal: 122816 kB
HighFree: 960 kB
LowTotal: 900288 kB
LowFree: 65524 kB
SwapTotal: 2048276 kB
SwapFree: 1222808 kB
Committed_AS: 1379188 kB

adam

Yeah … ouch. 800MB swapped on 1GB of real memory? Linux will
definately aggressively keep stuff in REAL memory so its not unusual to
see used memory at about 100% of total real memory, but the same is not
true of swap.

But this is precisely the same scenario I had about 3 weeks ago. I had
about 256MB swapped on 512MB of real ram … anytime I would come back
to the site it would take a while to load then be snappy. Then two days
later as the busier services pushed lightty+fcgi into swap I was back in
Suckville. I bumped up to 1.5GB and was all better.

Get some more RAM or migrate some services elsewhere. This is the point
where I start wishing everything was a virtual machine …

Austin

I have seen rails training costing from 2k - 5k given by the Rails
gurus. Since I am not a big fan
of throwing away money and expecting to cram everything in 3 to 5 days,
I am looking for someone
who is willing to provide online training for newbies.

You could just conduct the training twice or three times a week. One
hour per session would be
good enough. Just a simple webcam and the ability to ask questions and
get doubts clarified would
be great. Very practical and hands-on approach with tons of
exercises/homework would be great.

This would be a great opportunity for developers who work full time to
use whatever time is left
to learn Rails quickly. Plus no travel expenses and no need to use your
vacation time!!! It would
also be great to customize the training according to the needs of the
students.

Please reply to this thread so that we can find instructors as well as
students who want to enroll
in the course.

http://www.ProblemSolvingSkill.net
Hone your problem-solving skills

On 18-mei-2006, at 23:46, Bala P. wrote:

Please reply to this thread so that we can find instructors as well
as students who want to enroll
in the course.

Please learn to not steal threads first.

Julian ‘Julik’ Tarkhanov
please send all personal mail to
me at julik.nl

On 16-mei-2006, at 14:44, Adam D. wrote:

i have been plaugued by the same issues with fcgi and mongrel. The
first startup times are really bad, then every request after that
is blazing fast. I am still yet to find any real solution to this
other than cronning a wget to my site every 30 minutes, which seems
really silly.

I think the only thing that would help will be to preload all of your
classes when the app starts up.

me at julik.nl

Bala P. wrote:

Where is your thread buddy? Is the training already available? How can I enroll?

Julik was pointing out that you hijacked the thread “Mongrel / RoR first
page load times”, by replying to a message in that thread and changing
the subject line. You should have posted a new message, rather than
replying in an existing thread.

Justin

me at julik.nl

Rails mailing list