Macbook for Rails Development

I’m using a MacBook for Rails development as well, and by far the
best instructions I’ve seen for getting RoR up and running under
Tiger are here:

That article was linked to from Apple’s own article on Rails
development under Tiger, which is here:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/rubyonrails.html

–Casey

I think he means using the Apple (Command) key for cutting, pasting,
etc.

As for Linux desktops, I have very unfond memories of spending copious
amounts of time getting ridiculous stuff like mice, video cards, etc. to
work. I recently tried out Ubuntu, spent half an hour trying to get my
wifi card to work (unsuccessfully), then said “f that” and went back to
Windows. But, yeah, OS X seems to be the best package out there.

Just to say: if I was to switch from Ubuntu to Windows, I’d give it more
time than just half an hour to get everything working. You can’t really
expect it to be different the other way around.

Aside from the OS switching stuff, Ubuntu makes for a damn good
environment
for RoR development. Well, since RadRails, that is.

– Raphael

Raphael S. wrote:

As for Linux desktops, I have very unfond memories of spending copious
amounts of time getting ridiculous stuff like mice, video cards, etc. to
work. I recently tried out Ubuntu, spent half an hour trying to get my
wifi card to work (unsuccessfully), then said “f that” and went back to
Windows. But, yeah, OS X seems to be the best package out there.

Just to say: if I was to switch from Ubuntu to Windows, I’d give it more
time than just half an hour to get everything working. You can’t really
expect it to be different the other way around.

Aside from the OS switching stuff, Ubuntu makes for a damn good
environment
for RoR development. Well, since RadRails, that is.

Yeah, I probably should, but I didn’t see anything to get excited about.
Looked pretty much the same as the Linux desktops of years ago - the
Gimp and whatever other software. And my screen was kinda flickering
too. Based on my previous experience, I’m afraid it may very well take
me copious amounts of time again to figure out the trivialities of
getting my wifi card working (heck, maybe I can even take a stab at
writing a driver!) and making the screen work, but, been there, done
that. I just want something that works, and has a lot of great stuff.
Desktop Linux still feels like it’s for hobbyists, and still suffering
from a dearth of kick-ass apps.

Joe

Welcome to the cult. Grats.

On 3/20/06, Dan W. [email protected] wrote:

Dan Benjamin

far it just rocks. I keep laughing like a fool when I discover new

you look

Dan W.
http://www.danwebb.net

Rails mailing list

Jeremy H.

Hey, I’m just sharing my experience, which wasn’t necessarily bad, but
less mediocre, and unless by some conspiracy I got slipped a foobar’d
copy I suspect others will have more or less the same experience.

That reminds me - loading up Ubuntu from the CD took forever (well,
about 15 minutes, seriously). Ack.

Joe

Yeah, I probably should, but I didn’t see anything to get excited about.
Looked pretty much the same as the Linux desktops of years ago - the
Gimp and whatever other software. And my screen was kinda flickering
too. Based on my previous experience, I’m afraid it may very well take
me copious amounts of time again to figure out the trivialities of
getting my wifi card working (heck, maybe I can even take a stab at
writing a driver!) and making the screen work, but, been there, done
that. I just want something that works, and has a lot of great stuff.
Desktop Linux still feels like it’s for hobbyists, and still suffering
from a dearth of kick-ass apps.

I wasn’t trying to persuade you into using Linux, if Linux is not “what
works for you”. All I’m saying is, there’s people who it does work
for,
or who it might work for, if it weren’t for bad word of mouth.

For the hardware I have standing around at home, plus my girlfriends
laptop, installation of Ubuntu was very easy and straight-forward. In
fact, she installed the last version all by herself (“I’ve watched you
do it the last two times [Warty, Hoary] and I don’t see why I couldn’t
do it myself. You could prepare dinner.”).

So there’s a large gap between your and my (our) installation
experience.
I doubt it’ll be different for “availabilty of kick-ass apps”.

Don’t make it bad for everybody else just because it doesn’t work for
you.

– Raphael

Have you ever considered a Core Duo Mac mini?

I got one of those beauties lately and with 2GB of ram it is quite a
steal! :slight_smile:

Hey, I’m just sharing my experience, which wasn’t necessarily bad, but
less mediocre, and unless by some conspiracy I got slipped a foobar’d
copy I suspect others will have more or less the same experience.

That’s what I was trying to counter since it’s definitely not my
experience. :slight_smile:

That reminds me - loading up Ubuntu from the CD took forever (well,
about 15 minutes, seriously). Ack.

Well, it’s a live CD…

May I ask what kind of hardware you were trying this on and with what
Ubuntu CD / version?

– Raphael

“Raphael” == Raphael S. [email protected] writes:

That’s what I was trying to counter since it’s definitely not my
experience. :slight_smile:

Unless you’re also trying to reinforce the stereotype of Linux users
as proselytizing fanboys, please move the discussion to a more
suitable forum.

	     Calle D. <[email protected]>
	 http://www.livejournal.com/users/cdybedahl/

“Do any churches offer gluten-free body of christ? Just in case some
of
their flock have problems digesting their saviour?” – Rob Blake,
BofhNet

“Raphael” == Raphael S. [email protected] also wrote:

I wasn’t trying to persuade you into using Linux, if Linux is
not “what works for you”.

That means: “if Windows is what works best for you, use Windows”.
Linux happens to be working best for me, which doesn’t mean
that I go around and make Windows fishy.

Sorry, if I was being a “proselytizing fanboy”. EOC.

– Raphael

It looks like they are going to release MacBook 13" at April 1st… This
is the killer.

Yaroslav Markin wrote:

It looks like they are going to release MacBook 13" at April 1st… This
is the killer.

I’d rather have a 14", I think.

One other thing that appeals to me about OS X is that there is only ONE
VERSION. No crippled home version, and a pro version for twice the
price. Or a confusing array of upcoming new editions. Or scores of
various distros created by whatever fanboy thinks they can do it better.
One version. But it’s lame that minor upgrades (10.3 to 10.4) cost ($129
currently).

Joe

Joe wrote:

I’m thinking about getting a 14" iBook, since I can live with a 14"
screen (as opposed to 17", which is more money, of course, and a bit
bigger than I want to be lugging around; besides, I have a 20" monitor
at home.). I think it will be powerful enough for my needs.

Joe

I’m a new Mac switcher and have just bought my first MacBook Pro and all
I can say is that its a wonderful machine and I’ll be doing most of my
Rails (and PHP) development on it - I’m afraid my pretty decent Windows
box has been relegated to doing nothing more than serving up my mp3s
with slimserver, general office tasks/word processing/accounts etc. (ms
office is too slow for me on my MBP under rosetta with only 512MB of
RAM…perhaps when I get some more it will be better) and general web
browsing/email duties and gaming.

I don’t find it too big for carrying around though and I’ve bought
myself a nice be.ez lebag for it too. I personally couldn’t use anything
less than the 15" screen - anything smaller would be too cramped for me
(I’d go bigger if it wasn’t impractical).

Only downside to my MBP is that it has the whining issue that many
people have reported but I’m not going to bother sending it back for a
repair/replacement until there is some concrete announcement from Apple
on the issue -in the meantime I’m using the QuietMBP app that keeps the
CPU running at 8% in the background which gets rid of the noise at the
expense of about 30-45 minutes of battery time.

I can’t live with anything less than a 15", but that must be because of
my
genetically poor eyesight and my dual 19" LCD’s on my desktop.

An update to my experience thus far, I’ve managed to install the Rails
stack
using the tutorial mentioned earlier, and everything is working awesome.
Locomotive was cool, but I think the “real” install is going to be quite
bit more realistic for me, especially since I’m using gems that aren’t
in
the Locomotive distro (pdf-writer). AND I might want to try Edge Rails.

I wish I can go back to my first time on a Mac. Its kind of like
watching
the Matrix for the first time… you think you might know what Mac and
OS X
is all about, but after about a weeks worth of actual computing time,
you’ll will be bursting with excitement and discovery, not to mention
productivity.

I have 2 laptops (thinkpad, powerbook) and I cringe everytime I have to
boot
up the thinkpad. I know this sounds like Im going way over the top, but
the
powerbook has changed the way I work from top to bottom. Im simply more
organized and efficient. Add ruby and rails and you’ll be bleeding
productivity.

From here on out, unless there is a big reason to ‘switch’ back, the rest of
my future purchases are apple (i.e: 13" macbook)

Jin

Matt
> Locomotive was cool, but I think the “real” install is going to
> be quite a bit more realistic for me, especially since I’m using
gems
> that aren’t in the Locomotive distro (pdf-writer). AND I might
want to
> try Edge Rails.

You can use EdgeRails and install gems with Locomotive too. Just open
the terminal, and type “rake freeze_edge”, or gem install…

Alain

Color me an total dork, but I’m going to have TWO laptops in a couple
weeks:

1 MBP to do development with (and graphics, presentations… etc)
1 Thinkpad with OpenBSD… so I can keep hacking at the BSD kern.

Yes, OSX is “BSD”('ish) … but… no way am I studying the innards of
OSX.
OpenBSD forever !!!

Yeah, I know that… My only concern is what happens when Locomotive is
updated. I was under the impression that I’d lose all of the gems that
I’d
installed from the terminal when I install a new Locomotive package.

Am I mistaken?

Matt