**Staff Software Engineer – Back End, Mobile, or Front End Development (Remote, Americas)**
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we are all here.
At Shopify, Staff Engineers use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. You’ll also be hands-on in our code and will contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? We’re recruiting Staff Software Engineers to join teams in any one of these disciplines. Based on your experience and interests, let us know which one you identify with most in your application!
**Back End Development**
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking over 1 million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
**Mobile Development (React Native, Android iOS)**
Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Android engineers use Kotlin and our iOS engineers use Swift. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a plus!
**Front End Development**
What you’ll do as a Staff Engineers at Shopify:**
* Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
* Design and build highly available, resilient and scalable platform primitives API
* Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
* Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best experiences for our merchants
**Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:**
* A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
* Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
* A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Product Management, Product Marketing, Data, and SEO teams distributed across multiple time zones
* A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
* Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
* Experience with relational databases and SQL
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
*At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.*
#LI-KO3 #LI-REMOTE #LI-AH1
**Interested, but not ready to apply?**
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021
United States, Canada