BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2020 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Staff or Lead Software Engineer, Ruby You’ll be working with team members to extend our products and integrate with a broad array of external services. BigCommerce offers a heavily collaborative environment helping you expand your skill set and take ideas from inception to delivery. This role will require a need to balance: driving our aggressive product roadmap, improving the performance stability of our system, introducing engineering best practices into the organization, leading/mentoring other engineers.
What You’ll Do
* Help design/architect/execute the building of services for the BigCommerce platform
* Build integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST APIs that can span multiple codesets/services, fail gracefully, and be highly extensible
* Coach team towards (and write) code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise
* Collaborate with our product and design teams to define feature specifications and timelines
* Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack
* Collaborate with stakeholders and other teams to promote communication coordination
* Engage in technical discussion of new solutions and architectures
* Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
* Support an open, positive, and energized culture
* Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
* Support, mentor, coach 4-5 members of your team
Who You Are
* Highly Preferred: At least 5 years of professional experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails
* Adept with full-stack development
* Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, MIS or related equivalent experience
* Experienced in developing high performance, scalable and available web services and applications
* Desire to work in a collaborative, open environment on an Agile team as a contributor and mentor
* Highly proactive and results-oriented with excellent critical thinking skills
* Excited to learn new technologies
* Experience with TDD, BDD, DDD
* Strong understanding of relational databases, distributed queuing systems, and external services integrations over APIs (REST/SOAP)
* Experience with ecommerce, SaaS platforms highly preferred
* Nice to Have: Experience with OAuth and/or SAML workflows and permissions
* Nice to Haves: DevOps experience, GCP experience, and/or Docker or other containerization technologies
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
* Recruiter Phone Screen
* Hiring Manager Screening
* Online Code Assessment
* On-site Interview
Note: Candidates only located in the following states can be considered for REMOTE WORK; Alabama, Arizona, California, California -LA County, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York State, NY - Westchester County, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, Utah and Vermont
Diversity Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.