Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we are all here.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and engineers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify https://shopify.engineering/.
**What types of Senior Software Engineers might be interested in joining?**
**Back End Development**
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking over 1 million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
**Mobile Development (React Native, Android iOS)**
Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Android engineers use Kotlin and our iOS engineers use Swift. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a plus!
**Front End Development**
Are you looking for an opportunity to work on planet-scale infrastructure? Do you want your work to impact thousands of developers and millions of customers? Do you genuinely enjoy tackling complex problems, and learning through experimentation? Shopify Production Engineering is all this and more. The Production Engineering team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We make sure Shopify—the world’s fastest growing commerce platform—is able to scale massively while staying resilient for our 2000+ development team to build on and our 1 million merchants to depend on. Some of the technology that the team uses: Ruby, Rails, Go, Kubernetes, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Docker, Distributed Systems, Google Cloud. Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
**What you’ll do as a Senior Software Engineer at Shopify:**
* Collaborating with other designers and engineers
* Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
* Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
* Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
* Building and maintaining Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering
* Contributing back to the open source community
**Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:**
* Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our [Stackshare](https://stackshare.io/shopify/shopify) here.)
* Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
* Experience with relational databases and SQL
* Bonus Points: You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you here https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jenn is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
*At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.*
**Interested, but not ready to apply?**
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021
united states, canada (remote)