Who We Are
The idea was sparked from the clumsy paper flashcards that Alec Whitters, Co-Founder and CEO, and his peers were using to study for their dental boards. Wouldn’t it be better, he thought, to use our mobile phones to study? When he couldn't find an effective mobile learning solution, he decided to create it. HLT was born. Since its start in 2012, HLT has attracted millions of learners and we’re determined to support their desire to keep learning as part of their practice.
We hold tightly to our core values to innovate, captivate, and educate. These ideals are the heartbeat of our company and we are rigorous in finding coworkers who share these qualities.
Who We Are Looking For
Over 1 billion practice questions answered. Nearly 500,000 active monthly users. We are growing again and it’s time to add to our team. We are looking to work with the best, someone who learns from us as much as we learn from them. We are looking for someone bright with a proven track record in developing software for high quality, scalable applications. Someone we'll be proud to say is part of our team and who will play a large role in pushing HLT forward. As an engineer at HLT you will be responsible for the API that powers all our applications.
What you need to be successful at HLT:
* Commitment to quality - Quality not quantity you know what it takes to write maintainable, scalable code. If you can’t prove it you are not done, testing is just part of your process.
* Team player - You have strong opinions on how things should be done and you can express them thoughtfully and respectfully but when the decision is made you move with the team and own it.
* Independent / self motivated- You have a sense of maturity and a strong sense of commitment. You thrive on autonomy and your desire to perform comes from within. You have the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
* You understand Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures/algorithms
* You have a passion for continuous learning and improvement
* You are a seasoned Rubyist and have a solid knowledge of Rails
* You have a firm grasp of PostgreSQL
Other technologies that will be considered a plus:
* Modern mobile app architecture
* Modern JS and CSS frameworks.
How We Work
While our offices are in Coralville, Iowa, our developers work wherever they want. We just need you to be online and available via Slack during core hours.
What We Pay
This is a full time position. In addition to medical, dental and vision insurance, we also offer 8 paid holidays, paid sick leave and paid vacation time. We have always maintained a "take what you need but don't screw it up for others" stance on vacation and sick leave.
How To Apply
So if you are interested in working for a great company alongside a bunch of really talented developers, building cool software with the best tools, all from the comfort of your own home then please send us:
* A short description of something really cool you've worked on - code or tech-related, and preferably as your own project rather than something as part of an existing job. Perhaps a Ruby gem, or a mobile app. Or a fun game you built. Something!
* Your resume